Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Tuesday, 12 March 2013

Fifty Years On - Might We Again Get Necessary Change?

FIFTY years on from 'Clive Rowlands' Match', Scotland and Wales produced another shambles, which, hopefully, like that 111 line-outs shambles back in 1963 finally produces a change in the laws.

The fall-out from Craig Joubert's "look at me" performance, just might get the chaos to which the scrum has descended sorted-out, but, I am not holding my breath.

I still say, the answer to rugby's current ills is a bigger officiating team, as in American Football. One man, even three men (assuming - which doesn't often happen, referee and touch judges act as a team) cannot possibly look out for all the nefarious practices which go on in rugby today: we need more officials on the field.

If I can deflect slightly here: why doesn't rugby take a leaf from football when it comes to international officials. In football, each national association assigns dedicated teams of officials to big international games, either nationally or in European cup games.

You have a top whistler in the middle, with two top specialist linesmen on the lines and another two behind the goals, with a sixth top-grade referee as "fourth official" - rugby might do well to appoint six-man teams to the internationals and European Cup games; then we might get scrums set properly, the ball put in straight, a return to hooking and fewer blatant instances of ruck offside.

That said, there is no indication that the IRB is seeking change. So, the shambles goes on.



I AM surprised at the lack of censure for Jim Hamilton, for his performance against Wales. That penalty he gave away right on half time was crass stupidity of the first water. He should have been hooked there and then.

But, I noticed, he also made a lame and failed attempt at a tackle, which he missed, on Richard Hibbard as the Welsh hooker drove for the line for his try and there were a couple of other instances where he looked slow and off the pace.

Nothing new here. I have been saying for years, Hamilton, for all his bulk, is a liability. He has a long history of conceding stupid penalties and should have, since he has singularly failed to clean up his act over three or more seasons, have been consigned to the scrap heap.

As I told my club side years ago, when I criticised the prop whose was the first name on the team sheet every week: if a guy gives away a guaranteed nine points a game through silly penalties - don't pick him. Hamilton is such a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment