YESTRE'EN I sat down in front of my TV to watch the BBC Alba telecast of the Scarlets v Glasgow game from Llanelli. When, in the preamble, I discovered that George Clancy would be the referee, I almost got up and switched off.
Can anybody tell me - has ANY Scottish team ever won a match with Clancy as referee, particularly in Wales?
No, I am not going to blame gorgeous George for Glasgow's loss. The truth is, the Warriord didn't turn-up, but, I warrant, even if they had come out, all guns blazing at their excellent best, they still wouldn't have won.
I have long held that the Welsh cheat to an amazing degree; and have to admit the do it very well; but, having an official who lets them get away with it as readily as George does, certainly helps.
George spotted every Glasgow offence, but only about every tenth Welsh one. It cannot help a team's confidence if they know: "They've just done that and got away with it - if we try that, we'll get pinged". Another biased display from Clancy fair ruined my night.
MELROSE Sevens today and good luck to the Borders club. Being a fully-paid-up member of the Front Five Donkeys Club, I have never got sevens; it goes against the grain. I've never been to Melrose Sevens, although I hear it is a great day out, but, I suppose, at heart I'm a 15s man through and through.
I was a wee bit pissed-off at the BBC preview on Reporting Scotland last night, Cameron Buttle buttling away from the ground, then a clearly foonert Judith Ralston giving the weather forecast from there.
What did that one-off little exercise cost them? Maybe, if the BBC Scotland sports team would come out of the pockets of the SPL and Celtic and remember that SPORT is more than poor-quality football, they'd get on a bit better.
Any bets next Saturday's National finals day at Murrayfield will pass without mention on Reporting Scotland?
I SEE Gavin Hastings, protecting his nice little HSBC Ambassador earner has just picked his Lions Test XV, with but a single Scot, big Richie Gray, included.
Such XVs, which have been bombarding us since the Autumn Tests, are a waste of time and a sure sign of slack journalism and a lack of ideas on sports desks. Gavin and all the other former stars who hold ambassadorial roles are duty bound to pick their XVs, but, these guys surely know better than anyone - nobody forecasting now will correctly guess the Lions team which takes the field for the First Test - not even Russell Grant and Mystic Meg, since there is always at least one unforeseen injury and a couple of "bolters" (dirt-trackers who come through to win a place) when the real team is finally chosen.
No comments:
Post a Comment