Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Tuesday, 17 December 2013

The Balance Of Power Might Have Swung Towards The Capital

I MUST admit, I never saw that one coming. By which I refer to Edinburgh's superb away win over Gloucester, at Kingsholm - never the easiest place to visit. I gather the natives in the famous Shed were revolting as the upset unfolded in front of them on Sunday.
 
This was yet another blow to the over-blown self-esteem of the English Premiership; a clear case of: "Aye, ye want tae run Europe yet ye canna beat Edinburgh at hame".
 
This result clearly shows that, while, since it is a mainly Scottish workforce he is dealing with, there will be disappointment along the way, the wisdom of Solomons is starting to bear fruit.
 
The 1872 Cup double-header will be interesting, since, for the first time in a year or two, Edinburgh will probably start as favourites.
 
Well done Greig Tonks in seizing his chance at ten, however, that was merely one game; still, the club now has alternatives at half-back.
 
 
 
MEANWHILE, you have to ask, when will Glasgow get their collective heads together again. Given I am old enough to remember the bother the young Ian Durrant and Derek Ferguson got themselves into in such establishments back in the 1980s, maybe a blanket ban on professional sportsmen entering kebab shops in Glasgow should be given consideration.
 
 
 
NOT impressed by the Scotland Club XV original pool. There are one or two lightweights in there. But, mainly I wonder, why pick Dean Kelbrick, but without either Ross Curle or Robbie Fergusson beside him? Per any two of the three Ayr centres and they regularly produce, in concert, some inspired inter-changing and off-loads, which have brought their club some spectacular tries this season. And, before I am accused of a pro-Ayr bias - George Hunter! Nice big boy, great about the park, but, he has one glaring weakness for a prop - he cannot prop.
 
 
 
IT IS surely a wee bit worrying for the rest of us to read Steve Hanson's interview this week, in which he insists, the All Blacks can improve. No, strike that, it's not so-much worrying as downright scary.
 
Anent the Blacks, I agree with those who questioned the award of the BBC's Sports Personality of the Year 'Team of the Year' award to the Lions, on the back of what was, a scrappy series win in Australia.
 
I have never before been aware of this being a purely national award, however, since the Lions would be well-gubbed if they were to play the Blacks next week, how come the New Zealanders' 14-game unbeaten run wasn't honoured?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment