Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Friday, 20 June 2014

Welcome Home Big Man

THE difference in thinking between our two professional team coaches has again been emphasised this week - while Alan Solomons gives extended contracts to two of his thoroughly-ordinary non-Scottish imports at Edinburgh, across in Glasgow, Gregor Townsend has moved quickly to repatriate a genuine class act in Euan Murray.
 
Now I have issues with Euan's "Never on Sunday" religious stance. I don't understand it, but, I respect his beliefs - certainly his stance has cost him a few caps and has not always been beneficial to Scotland, but, that's life.
 
However, since, without good "piano shifters" up front, the "piano players" in the backs cannot make music, Townsend has pulled-off a great deal in getting Murray on-board at Scotstoun.
 
Glasgow already has some terrific props, although, it has to be said, Mike Cusack's long injury travails haven't helped on the tight-head side. But, with Murray on-board, promising young Glasgow props such as Alex Allen, Jon Welsh and the even younger D'Arcy Rae can surely only improve, if they tap into Murray's vast knowledgte. Even the more-established Ryan Grant and Gordy Reid will surely benefit too from engaging with Murray on a daily basis.
 
Once it became clear Murray was available, I felt one of the Scottish teams simply HAD to move to bring him home. I felt, and still feel, Edinburgh would have benefitted more from signing him, maybe if he could speak Afrikaans, Solomons might have bitten!!
 
 
 
THIS post goes up before tonight's game in Argentine. I honestly don't fancy our chances, but, I am hoping to be proved wrong. British sporting prestige could benefit from a good result out of South America this week!!!
 
Go for it lads.

No comments:

Post a Comment