RIGHT, I have calmed-dwn enough to write about Glasgow's defeat at Toulouse yesterday. With another referee, Toulouse would probably still have won, I have no doubts about that. However, that prick Lacey, once again, contrived to aid the French in their quest, by having one interpretation of a law when it referred to Toulouse, a totally different one when it referred to Glasgow.
Has either Scottish pro team, ever won with him in the middle, I doubt it?
But, if Niko had done his job properly and got as close as he could to the posts, who knows, Dunky Weir just might have kicked that late conversion and won Glasgow a losing bonus. This sin't the first time Niko's personal indiscipline has cost Glasgow - I think it is getting close to the time when Toony has to decide: Is Niko past his sell-by date?
But, let's be positive. If the pack can replicate yesterday's display, with the Scotstoun fans behind them, they can win on Sunday and stay on-course for the quarter-finals. Welshie was immense.
SO SAD to see the passing of Norman Mair. We have known for some time he was heading for the exit, but, it is still a blow to lose quite simply the greatest rugby writer ever.
Rugby writing goes on, but, he has proved irreplaceable. I have so-many fond memories of him. This is a really sad time for those of us who shared press box space with him.
I WAS at Old Anniesland on Saturday, a terrific game in the conditions, between Hawks and Gala, and that final series of nine scrums which settled the game deserve to be shown on You Tube.
I thought the referee got it right with the Penalty Try, but, maybe three scrums too-late. Mind you, there wasn't much he got right otherwise. Still, I have long maintained, it isn't so-much bad refereeing as bad Laws, and bad law interpretation, which is hampering Rugby Union.
Tear-up the Law book and start again.
ALEX Mack, that well-known Man About Glasgow Rugby, thought he had come-up with the perfect excuse to avoid pre-Christmas Shopping with 'Er Indoors - an 8am start en-route to Mull with Hyndland FP.
Only, the game was called-off and apparently Alex was last seen being dragged towards Braehead. That's no way to treat a 57-year-old rugby fanatic.
THE TRIAL apparently kicked-off this morning. That is the long-awaited hearing into what has become known in rugby circles as: "The McLay Affray", involving one Glasgow Hawk and a bunch of Warriors.
There is a turf war going on around the press seats - it is a News story, if the accused are found guilty, a Rugby story if they get off. So, there will be much jostling for room in court today.
A word of warning to those rugby scribes sent to cover it - don't get on the wrong side of "Wee Willie", aka Wilma Riley, Scotland's foremost court reporter, whose territory the trial is being held in.
Get Willie onside and you'll have no problems, offend her - well, Hell mend you. I will still look to Wilma for the definitive match report.
NOT that I have much time for English propaganda sheets, but, there is a wonderful four-letter rant on the Guardian website today, delivered by Marco Castrtogiovanni in respect of his departure from Leicester. He doesn't miss Richard Cockerill, the Tigers' odious Director of Rugby, and hit the wall.
The good old, right-on Guardian even prints the C word, as well as several F words.
No comments:
Post a Comment