BACK, when it all started and we set off, for once looking confidently forward, for France, we put all the disappointments behind us, as the Tartan Army's rugby section took their cue from one of the England football team's World Cup anthems; we were going to get it right this time.
Four games on, we will convene at BT Murrayfield tomorrow, situation normal - more in hope than expectation of a Scottish win. But, that said, we are not as down-hearted as normal.
I would sum-up the first four-fifths of the 2015 Six Nations as so-near, yet so-far.
I don't think the team ever believed they could win in Paris.
We were refereed out of the Welsh game; with a competent whistler in charge and just three decisions changed, we would have won.
We beat ourselves against Italy.
Leading at half-time against England, I think maybe we were so-shocked we didn't start playing in the second-half, until the game was beyond us.
We have yet to put together more than one 20-minute spell of pressure in any game; if we can sort this failing out, I think we can get a result tomorrow.
Ireland are a good team, that is not in dispute, but, they are not that much better than us. Glasgow is as good as any of the four Irish sides in the Pro12; we are not facing supermen, we are facing guys who we believe we can beat at club level.
Let's take that belief into the international arena and go for it. We have nothing to fear but fear itself.
We can win tomorrow, and, if we do, then we will be in a better place for the World Cup later this year.
I am quite happy with the team. The only change I would make would have been to have had Cusiter rather than Laidlaw at nine.
Come On Scotland.
No comments:
Post a Comment