Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Tuesday, 29 September 2015

So - Cowan It Is - Bye Bye Barclay I Feel

WELL, I never saw that one coming, but, I should have. I refer, of course, to Blair Cowan's call-up into our Rugby World Cup squad, as replacement for the injured Grant Gilchrist.
 
I, being an old fart, naturally assumed Big Vern Cotter would make a like-for-like switch, or, if he was going to bring in another possible number seven, as back-up to John Hardie, and that new player would be John Barclay.
 
Aye well, whit dae we hacks ken?
Given that Cowan was the man in possession of the number 7 jersey up until the parachuting-in of Hardie, I suppose his recall isn't that surprising. Mind you, I hope BVC has a serious word with Cowan. Maybe he should ditch the white scrum cap and get his hair cut, anything which helps make him less-conspicuous, when he transgresses at the breakdown - because, he does get pinged a lot.
 
Where does Cowan being favoured over Barclay leave the last of the celebrated Killer Bees who remains anywhere near the Scotland squad? I feel, sadly, Barclay, like Johnnie Beattie and Kelly Brown is now a Yesterday's Man in Scotland terms.
 
At one time, Barclay looked to be a future Scotland captain. Sadly for him, it never happened. After being passed over for the late call-up to the RWC squad, it now probably never will.
 
 
 
IT IS certainly gratifying to see Scotland atop Pool B of the RWC at the half-way stage of the pool games. But, we still have what were on paper, pre-tournament, the two "easiest" games - if there are such things as "easy games" at a World Cup, played.
 
The still to be played matches, against South Africa and Samoa were always the, again on-paper, "hardest" games - the ones which will ultimately decide whether or not we make the last eight, and, who we will play there.
 
We CAN beat South Africa, we have in the past; but, I believe, while that is a Maybes Aye - Maybes Naw possibility, we should be adopting the attitude - we WILL beat Samoa. We will beat them, because, we will move them around more than they want to be and, in the final quarter, we will pull clear.
 
Having already shown, as regards Cowan, that I ken naethin' when it comes to BVC's thinking. He may feel like holding one or two key men back for the Samoa game, when he names his squad to face the Saffers at St James's Park on Saturday.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment