Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Tuesday, 6 October 2015

I Have A Dream

IN AN ideal world, we Scots would not be paying too-much attention to the on-going breast-beating and hair-tearing, as the Master Race south of the Rivers Tweed and Solway rake through the wreckage of their failed Rugby World Cup campaign.
Nigel - ye're oot - live with it, is my advice to those loveable Orc-followers and would-be chariot drivers.
The Common Enemy might be out, but, we Scots are still in there. In my heart of hearts I accept we will not win the damned thing, but, hey - a man can dream.
Assuming we beat Samoa, at St James Park, Newcastle, on Saturday, we will face whichever country finishes first in Pool A - either   Australia or Wales, who meet at Twickenham in a game which will be played at roughly the same time as we are in action.
I am, for perhaps the first time in my life, hoping Wales win - for the simple reason, I believe we can beat the Welsh in our quarter-final, at Twickenham, on Sunday, 18 October. I do not believe we could beat Australia.
The country which wins our quarter-final,  quarter-final four, will then face the winners of quarter-final three. This will be between the winners of Pool C and the runners-up in Pool D.  So, IF we make it as far as the semi-finals, we will be taking-on either Ireland, France or Argentine.
I accept, we would start such a match as second-favourites in a two-horse race, but, we cannot think we might not win such a game. 
We are actually in none-too-bad a place, if we look at the other side of the draw.
South Africa, who will win our Pool B, will face either Australia or Wales, in the quarter-final. The winners of that match will meet either New Zealand, Ireland or France in the semi-final.
I can see New Zealand, the holders, emerging from these two matches, still a very-hard team to beat, but, somewhat beaten-up.
OK, maybe I am havering, perhaps I have let wishful thinking overrule common sense, but, is not a New Zealand v Scotland Rugby World Cup Final at Twickenham, the perfect stage on which to finally, after all these losses (and the odd draw), the ideal time and place to finally beat the All Blacks.
It will not happen - but, hey - a man can dream.
John Hardie, who is set to return to the Scotland team, if not for the Samoa game, then certainly for the quarter-final, is in a good place.
Hardie quit the Otago Highlanders for Scotland; he is technically "unattached", a free agent. Given his performances thus far in navy blue, he is surely a hot ticket for those clubs seeking an out-and-out foraging number seven.
I can already see his agent fielding inquiries from the big Aviva Premiership clubs, with whom he can virtually write his own salary cheques. The even-richer French clubs in the Top 14, are also surely looking to sign him up post World Cup.
In an ideal world, the SRU would have him on a contract aready, but, that may not happen.
CAN I commend an article in today's Guardian, by former Wales player Jonathan Thomas,  who has been forced to retire due to contracting Epilepsy, after taking too-many knocks to the head. With Head Injury Protocol such an important issue today, as is player protection, Thomas's story is required reading.
A FINAL word on the on-going introspection in English rugby.
In Australia, Wales, South Africa, Scotland, New Zealand, Ireland and Argentine, domestic rugby is organised with a view to having the strongest-possible national team.
Only in England and France does domestic rugby focus more on the clubs. The clubs in these two nations buy-up non-French and non-English mercenaries, they appear to be continually at war with their own Rugby Union, yet, these two nations have probably the greatest record when it comes to under-performing in the Six Nations and the Rugby World Cup.
English Rugby, in particular the Aviva Premiership, is getting to be a wee bit like the FA Premiership, awash with money and non-English players, but, doing little to help an under-achieving national team.
Just saying like.     

No comments:

Post a Comment