A gentleman's dining club of which I am a member, last night had as our guest speaker, a current Scottish rugby internationalist. We are not a Masonic group, but, under club rules, I cannot divulge his name, but can reveal, he is a Glasgow Warrior. He is the second Warrior I have heard speak after a meal, both were equally impressive.
Our guest spoke for 45 minutes or so, without notes, on is career to date; before spending a further 20 minutes taking questions. When I left, he was still speaking to members, not all of whom are rugby fans.
One of our number, a retired former footballer and club manager was candid as we discussed the night: "I cannot think of more than a handful of footballers, of the hundreds with whom I have worked as a manager and coach, who could have pulled that off", he said.
"The boy was very impressive, he will go far".
Our hero's performance, and the impact he had on a mainly football-orientated audience demonstrates how professional rugby is getting it right, where, for so long and so often, professional football has got it wrong, when it comes to how they treat the players.
Football clubs want their players, young and old, to play football. There is little or no interest in anything beyond the 90 minutes in a game. Rugby clubs, such as Glasgow and Edinburgh, encourage their players to be more-rounded individuals, to prepare for the day when they have to get a real job and are seeking to build-up their players.
Football clubs, by and large do not give a damn about anything other than the game. We are in the better game - after all, the sainted David Beckham hinted at just this earlier this week.
WHAT great news it is that Gregor Townsend will be staying with Glasgow until at least the summer of 2017. MInd you, by then, he may well be an even-bigger draw to the mega-bucks English and French clubs. But, we should enjoy having him at home.
No comments:
Post a Comment