Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Tuesday, 15 December 2020

That World Cup Draw Is A Real Challenge To The SRU

I WOULD like, if I may, to carry-on where I left off in yesterday's blog. There, I finished by asserting: our priority is to get the ongoing Governance Review out of the way, so we know where we are going; then, we need to look at our coaching and player development programme, which needs urgent sorting-out, then, we can, slowly, begin to move forward.
 

 
Gregor Townsend - the hard work to 2023 starts today


I posted yesterday before the 2023 World Cup draw was made. As you should all know by now, in France in 2023, Scotland will face: South Africa, Ireland, Asia/Pacific 1 and Europe 2. We don't yet know which nations will fill the two minor slots, but, on current form it will be either Samoa or Tonga from Asia/Pacific and one from Spain, Romania or Russia from Europe.


If it's Samoa, they could trouble us and Ireland, but, right now, we are looking at two from the top three qualifying – and we are the lowest-ranked of that trio.


Another cause for concern around 2023 is the age profile of the national squad. Scotland, at least in the professional era, has never been guilty of giving youth its chance. Wales has a proud record of throwing-in teenagers, not so Scotland.


Of our present national squad of 46 players:


  • 14 (11 forwards and 3 backs) are already 30 or older

  • 16 more will be 30 or older come 2023

  • only 16 players (7 forwards and 9 backs will be under 30 in 2023.


I am not writing-off those players who will be in their thirties by the next World Cup, but, given the attritional nature of modern rugby, we have perhaps just 24 internationals in which to find and integrate at least half a squad, before France 2023. OK, with summer tours in 2021 and 2022, we could maybe add another six internationals to that, but, we dohn't have many games in which to blood new players.


BUT – I would suggest, given the conservative nature of Scottish selection protocols, we are looking for a handful of “bolters” to come out of left field before we kick-off in 2023. Given too the reluctance of the Edinburgh and Glasgow management to trust their younger players, this is asking a lot.


I am going to be controversial here, since there are a number of fierce critics of the FOSROC Super6 who simply refuse to hear anything good of this competition. However, I still believe, given time, this is the future. We have to get it running properly, as a means of getting our younger players, the former Under-20 caps and the Academy “students” playing regularly and testing themselves. This has yet to happen, but, when it does, I can see it being a major influence in player development.


I still feel, we have to be brave and go quickly to a Super 8 and even a Super 10. We need a Super franchise in Glasgow, one further north than Stirling, a second Borders franchise (and this time SRU, listen to the Borders clubs and go with a 21st century South team – moving round the Borders grounds) and, as I have heard from at least a couple of guys already inside the Super system – why not London Scottish?


The RFU is cutting funding to the Championship, the tier of rugby where Scottish currently play. This is now a largely semi-professional league. So, if Scottish is now a semi-pro outfit, why shouldn't they play in Scotland's Super competition?


And, with Scottish on-board, perhaps more cross-border games against other English Championship sides, or even their Premiership sides' Academy teams could be arranged – giving our younger players more experience?


We have to do something to get our kids through faster – the current system is not working.




SO – Adam Hastings is off to Gloucester and Duhan van der Merwe to Worcester. A career in professional sport is a short one, so I really cannot condemn a young man for cashing-in as best he can. However, to me these moves are a rugby version of Scott McKenna leaving Aberdeen for Nottingham Forest and John McGinn ditching Hibernian for Aston Villa.


If top-flight sport really was about glory rather than money, I feel they would have stayed where they are. To my mind, Gloucester – for all their great traditions – and Worcester, are lesser sides than Glasgow and Edinburgh.

 


 

Duhan van der Merwe - maybe owes the SRU a bit more loyalty


With particular regard to VDM – if I was the SRU apparatchik in charge of writing contracts for imported project players, I would think of inserting a clause which demanded, once they were capped by Scotland, they had to remain with their Scottish club for two full seasons before they could move on.


Edinburgh made VDM an internationalist, he has, if he does move, not repaid them.




FINALLY – can I point followers of this blog (again) to the excellent The Offside Line, and in particular a column by Gavin Blackburn on youth development, particularly around younger, teenaged players.

 


 

 
Gavin Blackburn - has penned a thought-provoking piece for TOL
 

This is a particular interest of Gavin's and he has penned some very-good sense on this issue. Funnily enough, he's not the only one saying what he is. At least a couple of guys within the Super6 community have said exactly the same to me as Gavin extols in his article.


Please, get across to TOL and read Gavin's piece – then maybe we should start shouting at BTM to implement it.


3 comments:

  1. I’m not sure governance and player development structures are connected AA. The latter could proceed without the former being agreed.

    Indeed wouldn’t we expect the “professionals” at Murrayfield tasked with this very activity to be continually reviewing what’s working and making necessary changes?

    With S6 you appear to be advocating something quite different to what is currently being done. In effect you seem to be wanting an U20 type arrangement with a few experienced heads in there to develop the players. Why that involves clubs is a mystery to me - except as you keep on pointing out we don’t have the money.

    Please correct me if I’ve got this wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S6 ought to be preparing young players for the full-time professional game. For me, this is best done by having a spine of experienced players mentoring and being on-field coaches to the younger players.

      This will not happen overnight, it will take time to make this happen, so we have to be patient.

      I am certainly not happy at S6 clubs importing non-Scots, or Scots-qualified players who are older than 23.

      The SRU management model demands the bulk of the income comes from a successful, winning Scotland team, filling Murrayfield. Since they either cannot, or will not, try to attract independent clubs to do the heavy lifting in the PRO14, and they apparently cannot afford a third pro team, as a development one - we are stuck with the SRU underwriting the S6 clubs.

      Delete
    2. Agreed. The issue though is - what did the S6 clubs sign up too? From what I can see it’s a competition that they are all out to win. Through that the argument seems to be that players will improve and become more attractive to the pro teams.

      What they certainly didn’t sign up to IMO was a version of an U20 development system.

      Fundamentally this is about player numbers. We don’t have enough. The top 100+ in the pro ranks aren’t good enough to compete regularly in Pro14 or Europe. By definition the next tranche down are similarly compromised and on and in down the pyramid we go.

      13k players, a 2k increase over the last full season at a time when rugby stopped in March? Yep makes complete sense to me

      Delete