Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Friday, 5 August 2022

And After That Short Break - It's Back To Maverick.

I AM old enough to remember the very-early days of television in Scotland. Watching the BBC, the only channel back then, on a Pye TV with a 10 inch screen. No 24-hour, multi-platform broadcasts back then, indeed, one of the highlights was the Interlude section between programmes. Of these, the potter's wheel section was much-liked, but, since the address on my birth certificate is: “Stableyard,” I preferred the film of horse-drawn ploughs turning over a field.


My reason for mentioning this much-loved old clip is – that interlude seemed to last longer than the close season break we have just gone through, prior to the return of competitive rugby, tonight, when Ayrshire Bulls and Heriot's lock horns in the opening FOSROC Super6 match.

As I have been insisting almost from the off in S6 – one of the principal reasons for the SRU going down the semi-professional path was money, the SRU went this way to try to save money. And, it's when you try to economise, that things tend to go awry.

Earlier this week I had a look at the Bulls' website. Their squad details are wrong, with players who have left the club still listed, and newcomers not listed. This is down to not having people delegated to pr and social media duties. There are a couple of retired media professionals aligned to the Alloway club, but, they are not being paid, far less paid enough to full-commit to getting it right – this shows and the club and S6 suffers as a result. Updating things the day before the first game – as Bulls have done – is leaving it a bit late. A couple of names in the squad for tonight's match are, even to Millbrae regulars, a case of: “Who him?”

Any way, I am looking forward to seeing Super Rugby thrive and grow this season, with, hopefully, cross-border games to look forward to in 2023.




MEANWHILE, Franco Smith has been unveiled as the new Head Coach of Glasgow Warriors, ending a lengthy spell of uncertainty since the departure of Danny Wilson.

I am disappointed that no suitable Scottish coach could have been identified for the vacancy, but am prepared to give Smith a chance to show what he can do. If he can halt the Glasgow propensity for falling out of games from a potentially winning position – that will be a good start.

Still, Smith has something of a reputation for bringing through young talent, which will hopefully pay-off at Scotstoun, where he has plenty of potential diamonds to polish.

Less satisfactory, I feel is the news of short-term deals at Scotstoun being accepted by Joel Hodgson and Lucio Sordoni, or Joel Who? And Lucio What? As I prefer to call them.

We should NOT being offering contracts to NSQ (Non-Scots Qualified) journeymen, when we have native Scots we should be promoting and giving their chance.

Also, I feel the club desperately needs a forwards specialist, other than the in-situ Alasdair Dickinson, who is a scrums specialist.




FINALLY, a wee moment to remember from the Commonwealth Games – Andrew Cotter asking a BBC staffer to get him one of the colouring books the organisers were giving out to kids attending the games.

Oor Andrew went to Marr College, so, if he is able to properly fill-in a colouring book, by Marr standards, that makes him gifted.

Speaking of Marr, I welcome the appointment of Tony Peters as the new president, succeeding the splendid Stephen Allam. Tony stood on a platform of Make Marr Great Again, I am already calling him President Trump.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment