I WISH no harm to new Edinburgh signing Charlie McCaig, but, surely his capture sends out a signal to the Scottish club game from Murrayfield – that signal is: “We don't rate you, your players or your development programme.”
Now McCaig might possibly turn out to be the next big thing, but this is a kick in the teeth to the likes of Ayr's Jamie Shedden, Hawick's Andrew Mitchell and Currie's DJ Innes, to name just three centres who have lit-up the Arnold Clark Premiership this season.
Scottish football has gone downhill via the clubs ignoring home-grown talent to pack their squads with third or fourth rate non-Scots; for all their talk about putting Scottish talent first, signing the admittedly Scottish-qualified McCaig sends out the wrong message.
If he has not established himself in a weak Exeter squad by now, I don't think he's Edinburgh-class. I will be delighted if I am proved wrong, but, Ah hae ma doots about him.
OK, I accept the SRU has financial troubles and careful budgeting is required, but it has been required for some time past, but the costs have continued to rise faster than income.
OK, I accept somebody has to make the call about player recruitment, but, queston if the right guys are making the right calls.
OK, I accept, winning the bloody thing is more-important to the Premiership clubs than developing international class players for Scotland.
But, if the Irish can get it mostly correct, why cannot we Scots?
Super Rugby might have worked, but Murrayfield fucked it up good and proper, then scrapped it. Re-configuring the Premiership as a second go at Super rugby might work, except, I don't think both the will or the intelligence exists within Murrayfield to make it happen.
Private Frazer lives – and he's inside Murrayfield. The place where they couldnae run a menauge.
No comments:
Post a Comment