Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Thursday, 24 July 2025

I WILL NOT be around to see its final demise, but, the British and Irish Lions are dying as a concept and Andy Farrell's blatantly wrong selection for the Second Test will have gone a long way to killing it off. They might as well play in green and white shirts, notwithstanding his decision to pick Wales's Jac Morgan on the bench. As Farrell Pere plays favourites and ignores form in his choices.

The chosen squad is:



I can accept Sione Tuipulotu missing out with a tight hamstring, horrible bad luck for the boy, who was looking forward to playing in his home city – but the suggestion he was going to play both Irish centres, until Garry Ringrose also pulled out through injury – well that makes no sense. Bundee Aki has done nothing on-tour to suggest he should take the 12 shirt, indeed, on known form, I was surprised Farrell Junior didn't get the call.

I think I was alone among commentators in identifying that James Ryan would get the bench slot, once he was withdrawn early on Tuesday. He is another beneficiary of Farrell's background as Ireland coach, since, of the locks on duty, indeed in comparision with Ryan overe the entire tour – Scott Cummings ought to have been given the jersey.

I don't have a problem with Andrew Porter coming in for Ellis Genge; Farrell is clearly looking for a bit more oomph off the bench. Mind you, if the position was filled on th basis of: “which prop can best do the basics of scrummaging?” Pierre Schoeman would be starting. I also reckon, Ben White should be the replacement scrummie.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment