Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Saturday, 6 September 2025

Saturday Night Fever

O'MALLEY OUR ginger tom-cat: who allows us to feed him and offer him a warm bed for the night, was asleep on the job on Saturday morning. He was a bit late in wakening me to let him out, so it was already 6-0 to Argentina and 20 minutes in, when I joined the Rugby Championship match from Townsville.

Still, I couldn't complain as the two sides produced a cracking game, with some tremendous tries, lots of good off-loading under pressure and total commitment, to leave me convinced, at their best, the Southern Hemisphere nations play a brand of Rugby Union which only the French at the top of theie game, of the Northern Hemisphere nations can equal. It was glorious stuff, and the Australians can take great credit for their come-from-behind win, particularly for the way they stuck to their guns and went for it in time-added-on. They deserved to take the win.

Mind you, that was merely the appetiser – things were immediately ratcheted-up a notch or three when we “jumped the ditch” to Eden Park and the clash of the World's top two sides.

The Maori choir sang beautifully, before the Auckland Boys Choir lifted the atmosphere again with quite beautiful renditions of both anthems. After that and further evidence of the New Zealand Rugby Union perhaps employing a cultural attache/choreographer to coach the Haka, I would not have been surprised if the two sides had eased themselves into the game.

Aye Right!! Barely a minute played and Beauden Barrett produced a cross-fied kick pass which, while not quite peak Finn Russell, still deceived the Saffa defence; it was brilliantly plucked out of the air by winger Emoni Narawa and the All Blacks were on their way.

After that epic opening, it was Ali v Frasier in the terms and quality of the slug-fest which unfolded. The only down side I could see was, over the 80 minutes we were given further proof that Karl Dickson should never be allowed within ten miles of an elite international – when both sides are moaning about the official at the end, you know he's not fit for purpose.

And, they're doing it all again, in seven days time, in Sydney and Wellington – haud me back!!!




THE BIG GAME of the day, however, was the High Noon shoot-out between the ladies of Scotland and Canada. Now I have had a lot of time for Canadian women rugby players, since encountering with the Calgary Coven back in 1985. I wish I could say more, but, Tour Omerta beats tell-all journalism.

Any way – to the game in Exeter this afternoon. I honestly did not have high hopes for Scotland, against the world's Number Two side. The Canadians duly justified their higher ranking, but, oor lassies gave them a real game, before, quality told.

The Canucks had some genuine talents – why couldn't they have been real Canadians and learned to skate and handle sticks and pucks? Big Sophie De Goede in the boiler-house, for instance – jings, I've met less-scary male “Enforcers” when covering ice hockey – which by the way is simply shinty played on ice.

Then there was their excellent centre – Alex Tessier – ignore the name, the last lassie I saw with hair that flaming red was the Scots-Canadian girl who I married; Ms Tessier has to have Scottish ancestors.

Any way, Canada did what they had to do – avoided a last eight meeting with England, instead, we get to be the afterthought in a week of “Fleet Street” over-hyping their precious Red Roses. Aye well – sound off for that game.




FOLLOWING MY early start, I had an afternoon nap, (it's an age thing); so only switched-on the excellent Rugby Radio live commentary of Melrose v Ayr with minutes to go. Another somewhat ugly win for the Champions, who have still, three games in, to really hit their straps this season.

Stuart Cameron and his team do a tremendous job in selling Scottish club rugby – putting the SRU's own efforts via their failing Communications Department (motto – we don't really communicate) to shame. However, maybe a few more score flashes during commentary would help those, like me, who joined late. It wasn't until the final sign-off that I discovered the result at The Greenyards.

Mind you, such was the quality of the team's coverage of the Arnold Clark Premiership, that, by ten to five, I knew all five match outcomes. Ninety minutes later, the SRU's official results page on their website still didn't have all the Premiership results up.

I appreciate, it's supposed to be the clubs who notify Murrayfield, by 6pm and it seems to be against the religious beliefs of some of the Borders clubs to communicate with HQ, but, come-on, if Rugby Radio can get the results in speedily, why not the SRU?


 

3 comments:

  1. Because it’s the clubs job! It takes a few minutes to do it, I really don’t understand why they aren’t all done expeditiously.

    As things stand at 9.20am UK time 5 leagues are still incomplete. A poor show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could always dock the home club one point, the first time they fail to get a result in by 6pm; two points the second time, four points the third. I wager, very soon, all the results would be in speedily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough I did consider that. Agree it would spur action.

      Delete