JUST ABOUT midway through the acapella segment of Flower of Scotland, as I felt the passion through my television, I had a worrying thought – that we just might do it this afternoon; my confidence wilted somewhat after that early New Zealand opening try – I knew then, it would be a long afternoon.
I thought, for this game, instead of my normal match review, I would write the piece on the Murrayfield match as conscious notes, taken as play unfolded; so, here goes:
D'Arcy Rae ripped Ethan De Groot a new one in the first three scrums, but got nothing for his trouble - concerning.
That was a superb defensive set by Scotland during that spell of New Zealand pressure in mid-half. We were under warning for repeated infringements, but, we forced the error by the visitors and earned a clearing penalty.
What a 50/22 by Finn to set up the Darcy Graham near try when he was held up.
Wonderful example of “Who Me?” from Leroy Carter after his trip on wee Darcy and his yellow card.
Some fantastic counter-rucking from New Zealand.
Soft second New Zealand try to end first half.
What did Toony say at half-time? That start to the second half was wonderful.
Surely that was a no-arms tackle by Roigard to stop Darcy Graham? (spoiler alert – it wasn't, as the excellent Craig Watson demonstrated in his photograph which was used by The Offside Line.)
Three yellow cards to New Zealand – all justified – but Nick Berry's name will be mud in New Zealand tomorrow.
What a 50/22 from Damien McKenzie to get New Zealand into the Scottish five-metre zone in 70 minutes in the build-up to the try he scored.
Five minutes to go – Tom Jordan on for Finn – will he be asked to kick a match-winning conversion in injury time?
Killed-off by a guy called McKenzie – how typically Scottish. I know, finding fresh ways to lose games is more the Scottish Football team than the Rugby one, but still – how like us. But, fair play to the ABs. This 2025 lot may not be vintage Kiwi, but, they remain a formidable team.
When the going gets tough – they get going.
Similarly, this may be a very-good Scottish vintage, but, we are still a wee bit off being a truly top-class team. We have some terrific players, good at most things, but, we still are let down at the very-highest level by basic skill failures.
Will I ever see us beat the All Blacks?
WELL – THAT TOOK longer than I had imagined it might, but, I let out my first “For Fuck Sake” fully nine minutes into the England v Fiji game. Maybe I am becoming mellow in my dotage, that the crass stupidity of the cheer-leaders commentating on an England game takes so long to get to me.
The cause of that eruption – good old reliable Austin Healey – trying to excuse a ridiculous peace of obstruction by England's double-barrelled-named Exeter winger: Fanny-Baws or whatever his name is.
Later a Fijian was yellow-carded for an aerial collission with Fanny-Baws. Immediately The Sprite was howling for a red card. Why is it that a man, capable of incensive and intelligent insights, becomes a total wanker when watching his precious Engurlund??? David Flatman, the other TNT Sport talking head is the same – usually capable of rational thought, a fan with a microphone when on-duty in an Engurlund game.
Any way, England did some good things in beating a talented Fijian side. The makings of a formidable English side is in there – Henry Arundell, as we have known since his days in their Under-20 side, is a generational talent; it says much about English Rugby that he is not one of the first names on the team sheet.
They insist, however, on picking players who are favourite sons, but not international class, and that gives the rest of us a chance.
THE BEST WAS saved till last, France v South Africa was a true Heavyweight contest. The Auld Alliance was evident as the French picked-up on our cue and produced a stirring acapella anthem to get things going.
I felt for Edinburgh's Boan Venter when Rassie hooked him after barely half an hour, it's a tough gig propping this Saffa scrum! Then came the red card to Lood de Jager and with France in front and the World Champions a man short for the second half, you worried for Slouth Africa.
Now, I am not going to use phrases such as: “cheese-eating surrender monkies”, but, had the positions been reversed and France gone a man down, I suspect South Africa would have put France to the sword, instead, an inspired second-half show, and some wonderful tries, got the Bokke home.
Just a couple of final thoughts, might RG Snyman be the best impact substitute – ever? And what a try from Grant Williams.
MY DAY started in Dublin, where my suspicions that the core of this current Irish squad are now going downhill faster than the Jamaican bob sleigh team and Andy Farrell, for all he is already feeding-in some youngsters, faces a major rebuilding job.
They got there in the end as Japan ran out of steam in the final quarter. On the basis of forwards winning games and the backs deciding, by how much; if Japan ever gets a truly big pack together, then their talented backs will make hay.
SUNDAY AFTERNOON meant decisions, decisions, did I watch Wales entertaining Argentina, or watch Rangers at Dundee? Either way it was a case of watching fallen giants trying to recover. In the end, I decided there was more uncertainty around the Rugby.
I stayed with it, until Los Pumas put clear water between the teams in the third quarter, then I switched to events at Dens Park, in time for a rather special third goal for the Breengers.
They are closer to recovery than the Welsh, albeit because they are facing less-stellar opposition. Steve Tandy has taken-on a big job in reviving Wales. He will need his own expertise as a Defence Coach, but, for me, Wales's biggest problem is in attack – they go backwards almost as quickly as Rangers did under Russell Martin.
No comments:
Post a Comment