Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Atta Boy - This Kid Is No Patsy

AS A former Ayr player, all I can say about Pat McArthur's call-up to hook for Scotland against Samoa on Saturday is YEE-HAW.

Pat deserves his chance, I am sure he will take it and go on to win a few more; he will certainly, put some pressure, at long last, on Ross Ford. I am also holding my breath than Gordie Reid might be sent for for South Africa; should Cian Healy's ankle injury in Perth put him out of the Lions' Tour and Ryan Grant get the call to cross the Indian Ocean.

Grant's omission from the original squad was a disgrace and, having had to eventually call-up Rory Best - thank you Half-Wit Hartley - they must surely send for Grant if a loose-head goes.

But, back to Scotland. I like the look of the side Scott Johnston has picked and I believe we have a chance of finishing second - only an idiot would not expect the 'Boks to win a home competition.

The Lions' selectors actually did Scotland a favour by only picking three of our guys for their squad, I honestly wouldn't have fancied heading for SA minus six or seven first-choices.



I SEE the Lions followed-up their opening game romp against the Baa-Baas in Hong Kong with another big win over Western Force, in Perth. What worries me is: that's a couple of easy wins, plenty of points scored, if it continues like this, they may be under-cooked by the time the going gets tougher, as it surely will.

Also, I worry how a squad dominated by Welshmen and Englishmen will get on once the Aussie press crank-up their A game when it comes to mind games.



Good to see some of the best young talent in the Premiership being recognised with the announcement of the new Elite Development Players with Glasgow and Edinburgh - there are some cracking kids in there.

I am particularly delighted to see Gala prop Euan McQuillin being called-up by Edinburgh. Any young prop who has the cojones to e-mail the rugby press in Scotland with the correct spelling of his name - we had all been mis-spelling it McQuillan - has something about him.

He is also a very good scrummage operator, for one so-young.





No comments:

Post a Comment