Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Monday, 3 June 2013

South Africa Could Be The Start Of Something Special

WHEN I was cutting my teeth in the sports-writing game, my dream was always to cover Scotland games, either at football or rugby; I did, once, cover a Scotland rugby tour overseas - only because nobody else fancied going. I had a great time, would happily have gone overseas with the squad again, but the chance never came.

The ultimate trip for any journalist was always to cover the Lions in New Zealand or South Africa, but, when I was a boy, this gig was a closed shop; Vivian Jenkins and JBG Thomas, a pair of Corleones among rugby writers, covered it for everyone.

Then, Mighty Mouse, Willie John, big Broon, Merv the Swerve and Co discovered how to beat the All Blacks at home, and, come the 1974 tour to South Africa, every paper wanted their own man on the tour. Today, the correspondents' caravan is as big as the playing and management squad.

Of course, since Scotland has been so cynically sidelined by English/Welsh and Sky interests, Scottish media representation on the 2013 Lions' Tour is negligible; which is no bad thing, because the likes of that young pup Ferguson of the Scotsman get to visit South Africa with the Scotland touring party.

The late, lamented and much-missed Broon from Troon used to wax lyrical about the 1974 Lions tour and the overwhelming hospitality of the Saffers. The "White Tribe of Africa - aka the Boers, might have an image problem, but, Broon, and everyone else I have spoken to about playing rugby there has been agreed, if they don't kill you with their aggressive approach on the park, they will kill you with kindness off it.

Sounds as if Scott Johnston and the boys are in for a tough three weeks. This, the absence of Vern Cotter notwithstanding, is a crucial tour for the Jocks; so-many youngsters to bed-in, a distinct lack of experience in crucial roles, and, on the field ordeal by fire from three distinctly difficult opponents.

However, just as great Scotland seasons have followed Lions tours - back in the day when he got a fair selectorial crack of the whip, so, I believe, we can return from the republic stronger and with more options.

I believe we are on the cusp of a golden age in Scottish rugby and I look forward to having more Scots to write about when I finally get on a Lions Tour in 2017. I have decided, one tour of NZ, then, I will put away the lap top.



I AM pleased to see young Sean Kennedy get his full Edinburgh contract confirmed; the kid has something about him. However, the last time I saw him play, I got the distinct impression the attention he had been receiving from my colleagues in the national rugby-writing fraternity had maybe started to go to his head.

He was a tad prima donnish, playing for Stirling County against Ayr. Great son, you've got a full professional contract, however, you are far from the finished article. Head down, speak when spoken to and watch and learn, would be my advice.



SAD to see the Barbarians coming in for some stick after their Hong Kong thrashing from the Lions. Well, not the team exactly, more the club's management. Professional rugby has severely weakened the Ba-Bas' image, now, its very existence is in doubt - which would be a shame.

There has to be a place for this greatest of all touring clubs - surely the wit and wisdom exists in rugby to find that place in the changed rugby landscape of money, money, money.

The way they have in the Ba-Bas - and it's a very good way too - has to be tweaked and allowed to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment