THE lady with whom I have shared a sort of Last Tango in Ayrshire these past seven years having decided she was right all along when she first ditched me 50 years ago, I am now free to enjoy the Six Nations without incurring her wrath.
I intend taking advantage of my new-found freedom, by watching every game.
I warmed-up last night by watching the Scotland A v England Saxons game. WE WUZ ROBBED; but, I don't expect that will be the only time I say that over the next few weeks.
Take away the ten points a clueless French referee handed the Saxons, through getting things wrong, and, we won a poor game, and, ok, the conditions didn't help. I felt we were the better of two poor sides, but, the way the referee reacted to the big calls. Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear - Disaster for Scotland, as my old pal David Francey used to say.
The English loose-head was pulling Jon Welsh's arm down all night, and getting away with it. Indeed, in the scrum in which the ref awarded the penalty try, if you watch carefully, you will see it was the English front row which popped-up first.
On the other side, Gordy Reid was pinged a couple of times, when he had the English tight-head on toast all night. I felt sorry for Greig Tonks, whose big chance ended prematurely through injury, but, the boy Heathcote again impressed when he came on and, Ally Hogg's immense contribution merely proved (yet again), good technical coach though he is - as a selector, Andy Robinson couldn't pick his nose.
WHAT'S that old (political) saying? Yes, a good time to bury bad news - hence the SRU's decision to let it be known, the eight-club Scottish Super League will not be happening any time soon.
This is one of these good ideas which was always doomed to fail. There is no way the lesser Scottish clubs were ever going to stand for it, particularly in that part of the nation which is closest to the common enemy and where they go in for sex with their sisters, particularly if she has a wooly coat and says "Bah" a lot.
Our love of the clan culture has always been Scotland's hand brake. If we cannot have it, we don't want our neighbours getting it - unless it is a contagious disease. Thus, fears about player poaching have been behind the decision to quietly drop the plan.
As originally announced, the eight-club Superleague wasn't perfect, a lot of things had still to be ironed out, but, I think it was better than what we've got and was a way ahead.
The selfish clubs have dropped the ball here.
Still on the subject of burying bad news. Have a look at the Glasgow Hawks website, where the wonderful webmaster, Hugh Barrow, has posted a piece on last month's meeting between Hawks and the SRU, on the vexed subject of the governing body's response to the altercation between Hawks' Ally McLay and a band of Warriors.
This matter is subjudice, and clearly heading for the courts, so comment has to be minimal. Suffice to say, Hawks aint happy and, from what I gather, CCTV evidence, if used, will be very bad for the Warriors and the image of professional rugby in Scotland.
The SRU's news management abilities will be sorely tested by this case, when it finally gets to court, believe you me.
Still on the subject of burying bad news. Have a look at the Glasgow Hawks website, where the wonderful webmaster, Hugh Barrow, has posted a piece on last month's meeting between Hawks and the SRU, on the vexed subject of the governing body's response to the altercation between Hawks' Ally McLay and a band of Warriors.
This matter is subjudice, and clearly heading for the courts, so comment has to be minimal. Suffice to say, Hawks aint happy and, from what I gather, CCTV evidence, if used, will be very bad for the Warriors and the image of professional rugby in Scotland.
The SRU's news management abilities will be sorely tested by this case, when it finally gets to court, believe you me.
I DON'T do predictions much, but, I will say - if we can play the referees better than we have in recent years, and if our key men stay fit - I think we can do a bit better than the much-predicted fifth spot in this year's Six Nations.
Go for it lads.
No comments:
Post a Comment