Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Friday, 3 April 2015

Goodbyee, Goodbyee

IT HAS been a week for goodbyes being announced around Scottish rugby. Firstly, there was the not unexpected news that big Al Kellock would hang-up his boots at the end of the season.
 
The big man, just might, with a wee bit of luck, go out at the top, leading Glasgow to victory in the Pro12. It will not be easy, but, it is far from impossible and what a terrific end to a great career it would be.
 
Of course, Al will not be completely lost to the game and, as an ambassador for Scottish rugby, plus a specialist coach for our many excellent, promising young locks, I am sure he will do very well.
 
Then there was the loss of Geoff Cross's beard. ZZ Prop is no more, with the Wooden Spoon Society benefiting to the tune of some £10,000 after the good doctor shaved the facial fuzz. Well done Geoff.
 
 
 
TOMORROW sees a trio of crucial matches in the BT Premiership, with Heriot's entertaining Currie at Goldenacre and Ayr hosting Melrose at Millbrae in the Play-Off Semi-Finals. Then, up at Old Anniesland, Hawks and Stirling County will go head-to-head in the final regular season match of the campaign.
 
What happens could not be clearer: the victors will definitely be in the top flight next season, the losers will have one last chance to retain their top league status, via the promotion-relegation play-off.
 
I am, most-certainly, biased when it comes to the two semi-finals. I want Ayr to beat Melrose, and I would love to see Currie upset the odds and win at Goldenacre - this follows Phil Smith's petty action in citing Ross Curle after the Ayr v Heriot's league game last month.
 
Can Currie do it? Yes, I think they can. And, to return to the Millbrae match; this one will probably go down to the wire and be won by a single score - these two teams are very closely-matched and the one which wants it more will win.
 
The same could be said about the Old Anniesland match-up. Both Hawks and County have upset more-highly-rated teams this season. Both have lost matches they probably ought to have won. Both will be up for the match tomorrow and, again, it will all come down to desire.
 
 
 
SUNDAY sees Edinburgh in Reading to take-on London Irish in the European Challenge Cup. Alan Solomons' men have shown a consistency in Europe which they have lacked in the Pro12. If they can be "European" rather than "Domestic" Edinburgh, then they can give the English as big a shock as the Nippy Sweetie did in the TV debate last night.
 
I know, they are playing "London Irish", but, I think Irish have more Scottish players: Cross, Cowan, Lowe, than Irish ones, and they are, due to being in the Aviva Premiership, obliged to have most of their squad "England-qualified".
 
Apropos London Irish - I would love to see the Scottish, Irish and Welsh Unions sticking it to the English, by persuading their three London-based "Exiles" clubs to switch from the English Premiership to the Pro12. I am sure title sponsors Guinness would love to have three teams from greater London playing in their league.
 
It wouldn't be a cheap option, but, I think it would pay dividends for the league. 

No comments:

Post a Comment