Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Saturday, 18 April 2015

Sorry Edinburgh - I Underestimated You

I RECALL, some years ago, interviewing one of Scotland's top football referees, about his Saturday afternoon job. In the course of our talk, he repeated some advice he had, as a young wannabee referee, on the way up, received from one of the then top guys of the time. This was: "If you are wrong in a decision - be wrong with authority".
 
In the wake of this revelation, I trust I was wrong with authority when I penned my fears concerning Edinburgh's European Challenge Cup semi-final, against Newport Gwent Dragons.
 
On the basis of Edinburgh's woeful display against Munster last time out, and, mindful of the standard Scottish default position when facing a supposedly weaker team - basically: "get down to their level"; my view further slewed by the way Dragons had crushed Cardiff in the quarter-final - I feared for Edinburgh.
 
How wrong could I be?
 
I definitely never saw last night's result at BT Murrayfield coming.
 
Edinburgh were, for 70 of the 80 minutes, in total control; playing with authority, confidence and no little panache. This was as good a display from a Scottis side as I have seen. I was delighted to see Phil Bureigh, a player I have been very impressed with since his arrival, playing such a pivotal role. I thought Sam Hidalgo-Clyne further upped the amount of money he will screw out of a top English or French side when he moves, ditto Ben Toolis, who had yet another awesome game an thoroughly deserved his Man of the Match award.
 
This was magnificently-uplifting for all fans of Scottish rugby. Mind you whichever club, between Gloucester and Exeter wins the other semi-final, they will make things very tough for Edi nburgh in the final at the Stoop. But, Alan Solomons' men need not travel south fearful.
 
MAYBE it is something in the Edinburgh water, but, like Edinburgh, Boroughmuir have blown hot and cold this season. But, they came through well to thrash Hawick in today's BT Scottish Cup Final. Having seen both clubs in action in the BT Premiership, I sensed this would be a close-fought final. I certainly never saw 'Muir winning so-clearly. 
 
FINALLY, I was pig sick at my own club, Cumnock, being so comprehensively whipped by Alloa in the BT Bowl final. Alloa were always favourites for this game, but, it was a mis-match and, I suggest the SRU look more-carefully at the criteria for which competitions clubs enter.
 
Were Alloa a Glasgow District rather than a Midlands District club, they would  have had to play in the BT Shield. That said, they confirmed the gulf in class between the two clubs, but, I have to say, by not looking after the ball properly, and by some poor choices, Cumnock failed to do themselves justice.
 
That really disappointed me more than the result.
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment