WITH this being a fallow week in the 2017 Six Nations,
we can concentrate on real rugby, of the club variety.
The club festival kicks-off tonight with the Guinness
PRO12 clash between Leinster v Edinburgh at the RDS. With so-many
front-line Leinster players in the Irish squad, this should be one
away game Edinburgh can target for a win. They certainly need to
pick-up unexpected points somewhere this season, so why not tonight?
Mind you, I am not at all confident in their ability to win this one.
Similarly, I can foresee a hard afternoon for Glasgow,
in the Kingspan in Belfast. Mark Bennett being released from the
national squad, plus the return of Peter Horne, should give Glasgow
the cutting edge they lacked last week, but, here again, I am not all
confident of their chances.
Tomorrow we will see most of the BT Premiership clubs
finish their league campaigns. Of course, with some outstanding games
still to be played-off, the final running order in the regular season
campaign will not be known for a week or two yet.
Game of the day looks like being the basement battle
between relegated Gala and Boroughmuir, who are second-bottom, but
have a game in hand over third-bottom Hawick. 'Muir really need to
win this one to avoid the promotion/relegation play-off. The
Edinburgh side have had a funny season, capable of terrific results
such as beating Ayr, but, just as liable to lose a game where they
are expected to win. I reckon they will deeped the Netherdale gloom
in this one.
Another interesting game will be the Malleny Park clash
between Currie and Glasgow Hawks. These are two of the most
attack-minded sides in the division, so the crowd could well be in
for a high-scoring game. Currie's need for the points is greater.
They did well to make the top four last season, but, they need to win
this one and their outstanding fixture at Boroughmuir, if they are to
overhaul Heriot's and deny the Goldenacre gang a top four finish and
a chance to retain their title.
Down at Millbrae, Ayr will have revenge on their mind.
Their shock loss at Myreside earlier this season will, if Melrose win
their last two games, be the main reason why Ayr failed to top the
table at the end of the regular season. With second spot at least
guaranteed, the league leaders can go out for a bonus-point win to
set the record straight, pile a wee bit of added pressure on Melrose
and give the home support a reason to smile.
This match will be the final league game in charge for
Marcus di Rollo and Simon Taylor, so, they will want to end with a
win, should be a good game.
Melrose will entertain Hawick at the Greenyards. Well,
this is a Border battle, so, nobody with any sense will attempt to
forecast how it will pan out, but, you have to fancy the 'Rose to
bloom.
THE make-ups of the two professional squads for next
season is starting to become a wee bit clearer. I must admit, I am
surprised that the rumour linking Mark Bennett with a move along the
M8 to Edinburgh proved to be true. I would have put money on him
going back to France for next season. I reckon he must have been
offered a big pay rise to stay in Scotland, if so, good on you Marko
boy.
Mark Bennett at the Olympics
I am surprised, but not shocked, at Glasgow allowing
Gordon Reid and Josh Strauss to leave at the end of the season. These
guys have been very-important pillars of Warriors' rise; neither is
exactly over the hill and, losing them in favour of
relatively-unproven younger players might yet be a mistake.
BY THE WAY, I am becoming heartily sick of various
pundits, even some who should know better, coming out with their
Lions Test XV after each round of the Six Nations.
The first Lions squad which I ever bothered about was
the 1959 party in Australia and New Zealand. Now, right up until they
got to Australia, the informed speculators had it that the
full-back's shirt would be worn by Terry Davies of Wales. Even Ken
Scotland, who was the other full-back on the tour accepted, he was
going as back-up to the Welshman.
Ken Scotland - the back-up who became first-up
The party arrived in Australia and, when the Test team
for the first of the two Tests in that country was named, Scotland
and not Davies was named at full-back. He went on to play there in
four of the six Tests, was injured for the second Test in New Zealand
and played centre in the final Test.
Let's look at the 1971 Immortals in New Zealand, Ray
McLoughlin and Sandy Carmichael were pencilled-in as the Test props,
but, were punched out of the tour in the Battle of Canterbury, with
Ian McLauchlan and Sean Lynch stepping in. On the same tour, Gordon
Brown was only supposed to be there to make up the numbers, but, he
fought his way into the Test team and a legend was born.
Broon Frae Troon - Lions' Legend
OK, making-up a Lions Test XV is an easy pot-boiler for
any journalist who is short of ideas, but, remember, reality always
gets in the way of such pieces. And, I deplore the way football-style
puff pieces are increasingly finding their way onto the rugby pages.
We now have Gavin Hastings & Co telling us that
Stuart Hogg HAS to be the Lions' Test full-back. OK, IF he maintains
his current form through the remainder of the Six Nations and on into
the Tour, I am fairly confident, Hoggie will wear 15 in the first
Test. But, I don't need big Gav to tell me this. Gavin Hastings might
be a past Lions' captain, but, his thoughts on Hogg add little to the
debate.
Also, I would expect the last Scot to wear 15 for the
Lions in a Test to be boosting the favourite to be the next Scot to
do this. I would like to see his views on which as yet untipped Scots
can make it onto the Tour and perhaps into the Test side.



No comments:
Post a Comment