THIS post is being written
mid-morning on Sunday, 26 February, and, it's a great time to be
alive, if you are a Scottish rugby supporter. We live off the
occasional crumbs of comfort we get from results such as yesterday's
defeat of Wales. For once, cautious optimism rather than dread will
be our mindset as we head for Twickenham in two weeks' time.
Of course, in my 70-years on
this Earth, I have only seen us win twice at the headquarters of
English rugby; thus, I lang syne learned never to be too-confident
going there, but, we have a chance this year.
Any way, that's to come. I have
long been an advocate of Willie-John McBride's mantra of not looking
back at history; we've played Wales and beaten them, finished,
move-on. But, before we go, some observations.
I have long held the Welsh squad
to be over-rated, the Taffia of Welsh rugby writers in “Fleet
Street” have long talked-up their heroes. We Scots see the bulk of
their squad close-up in the Guinness PRO12 – we know they are not
that good. Yesterday, the team remembered this and beat them.
But, our performance was not
perfect. There is still work to be done on our props. Zander Fagerson
is still making technical mistakes; he was found-out against France,
but, the Welsh props were not good enough to exploit this. I am, of
course, biased in favour of Mark Bennett, but, I feel his greater
pace and sharper running lines, not to say his familiarity with Alex
Dunbar, should earn him a start ahead of Huw Jones at Twickenham.
Mark Bennett - would be in my Twickenham team
I always felt, Wales would lift
their game against England, and come down a shade against us. If we
can harness “the England effect” - the harder desire to defeat
the common enemy, then we can beat an English team which, while it
has been winning, has not been winning well.
At Twickenham, we will be
playing for the Calcutta Cup, the Triple Crown and, a first win there
for 34-years, we will also be seeking to deny England a Tier One,
world record-equalling 18th win. What more inspiration do
we need to finally post that elusive Twickenham win?
Peter Dods - 11 points the last time we won at Twickenham
OUR joy at the Murrayfield win
should be tempered, however, by the realisation, we still lack depth
in Scottish rugby. A huge well-done by the way to our Women, who
scraped past Wales to post their first Women's Six Nations win since
2011. The Welsh were, apparently incandescent with rage at losing to
Scotland. Maybe over-confidence got to them.
Every journey begins with a
first step, so, hopefully this first win will see big Shade Munro
lead our Women to better days.
Our Under-20 team lost heavily
to their Welsh opponents on Friday night, while our Club XV lost to
England at Moseley. Can I make another plea for more Club XV games,
our play for fun club guys deserve this.


No comments:
Post a Comment