Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Monday, 26 February 2018

Right - The Party's Over, Let's Get Ready For Dublin

ONE OF the troubles with the NatWest 6Nations is, these wee in-built breaks in the programme. Right now, at breakfast time on Monday morning, the entire Scotland squad is probably wishing they were playing Ireland on Saturday, so they could build on the momentum they established on Saturday. Instead, they have to cool their heels for 12 days.

 We won, now, can we play Ireland

That is not ideal, but, on the other hand – after the collossal effort they put into sending wee Edward's army homeward tae think again – the boys probably need the respite period.

Might I put a rare disclaimer in here, let's get ourselves grounded again, quickly. I have been around Scottish sport long enough, and, for my sins am something of a Scottish sporting historian, so, I lang syne worked out – no triumphs are greater than Scottish sporting ones, and no disasters are greater than those on the same pitches.

For every football Wembley Wizards 1928 (a “wooden spoon” decider in that season's Home Internationals by the way), or Wembley Wizards 1967 (a European Championship qualifier – England qualified, we didn't), there is a 9-3 (1961) or a 5-1, (1975) reverse.

It's the same in rugby – we beat a Welsh XV containing 13 Lions, then lose the next 17 games, we win at Twickenham in 1938 then have to wait until 1971 to repeat the victory, and so on.

So, we won on Saturday, we've had a good weekend, we can go into work this morning and wind-up any English colleagues or friends, but, we have not yet won the 2018 6Nations, and, never forget, Ireland, whom we face next – in Dublin, remain favourites to do this.

So, this week, it's back to purritch and auld claes. But, there is still much to look forward to. On Friday night, Edinburgh will entertain Munster in the PRO14 at Murrayfield, while, at exactly the same time, Glasgow are in Belfast, facing Ulster at the Kingspan. These are a couple of cracking fixtures at any time and even with all four teams missing their internationalists – these should be great games.

Then, on Saturday, we have the final round of games (barring a couple of postponed fixtures) in the BT Premiership, with, as I have outlined in past posts, much to play for at both ends of the table. I fancy mobile 'phone usage will be great all over Scotland as interested parties attempt to keep track of events during the 80 minutes of each game.

But, there are other crunch games elsewhere, and can I in particular flag-up one minor encounter, in West Division 1, where table-topping Carrick will play hosts to unbeaten second-placed Allan Glen's. OK, the level of play might not match Murrayfield last Saturday, but, the will-to-win and tension will.

I am indebted to the Weegie-rugby blog, for keeping me updated on events in the wild West, where, West Division 2 is arguably the most-competitive league in all of Scotland. I have, of course, a wee personal interest in this league, which will go right to the wire.



THIS week's big event, however, takes place on Wednesday night, when, the uncertainties of traffic and programming a sat nav notwithstanding, El Duce Dodson will finally make it to Millbrae, where he will address a meeting of Ayr RFC on the Super Six proposals.

Billy McHarg - He and his members will want some reassurances from Mr Dodson when he visits Millbrae on Wednesday night

It is no secret, when Super Six was first revealed, Ayr President Billy McHarg was a fan. But, oor Billy is nae fool, and, once he got to read the SRU franchise proposals in greater detail – wearing his accountant's head, Billy's enthusiasm has cooled somewhat. However, if on no firmer grounds than – the SRU says it will happen, so, we have to be interested and involved – Ayr are hanging-in there. However, they will be looking for a lot of movement from Murrayfield, both on Wednesday night, and in the negotiation period between the franchise window closing on 30 March, and the announcement of the successful franchises, on 1 May.

Billy McHarg might be prepared to give the SRU time to finesse the franchise deal and come up with a better offer but, he's one of the more-enthusiastic Millbrae men. One fears for Mr Dodson, should be upset Jock Craig or one or two others of the Millbrae Silverbacks. Auld Auchlin will not miss Dodson and hit the wall if he gets upset – and his one of the calmer voices.

"Auld Auchlin" - unlikely to be a silent bystander on Wednesday night

I hoped to be there on Wednesday, however, the date clashes with my 71st birthday, and, the Coven, as I refer to my quartet of lovely daughters, and the Farmer's Daughter – the somewhat younger lady in my life - have yet to inform the old pest what they have planned for the evening. It was easier when my dear wife was alive:

Me - “What am I getting for my birthday?”
Management: “Nothing with knobs on, but, I'll let you live.”
Me - “Fair enough.”

I sincerely hope Mr Dodson can throw a bit of light on the proposals, and that, maybe, in the face of near-universal condemnation, the original Super Six proposals have been significantly improved.

As I have long said, I have nothing against closer integration between the professional and the club game, but, nothing I have yet read out of Murrayfield makes sense to me. I still see Super Six as a power grab, which has to be fought and beaten. It is, as currently understood, a recipe for disaster.



FINALLY, I watched Saracens v Leicester on BT Sport yesterday afternoon. The broadcast encapsulated everything that is wrong with English Rugby.

The BT team, who it has to be acknowledged, do a great job in selling English Rugby have all bought into the mantra - “The 6Nations and international rugby is ok, but, the English Premiership is the gold standard – the Aviva Premiership is the best league in the world.”

That's a straight lift from the mindset of the English football media and their Premiership. The football guys were and are wrong in this belief – sadly, the rugby guys are following them down this wrong road.

4 comments:

  1. If the Super Six proposals have been "improved" then surely all of Scottish rugby deserves to know before any application deadline is reached, rather than just the clubs who as you say are "hanging in there".

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent point - well made. But, Murrayfield increasingly works on the Mushroom Management System - keep the clubs in the dark, occasionally throwing some shite on top of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s almost as if the SRU are making it up as they go along?

    ReplyDelete