NOTHING,
not even that ridiculous: “Not fit for purpose” slander, sums-up
Murrayfield's disdain for the top flight of the club game quite like
the moger they made of this final round of regular season games.
Dodson and Johnson react to being invited to a club game
When
the dust settled, Melrose, in spite of seeing their under-strength
side hammered at Mansfield, confirmed their status as the top side
over the 18-match schedule. Marr, in spite of doing their bit with a
bonus-point defeat of Stirling County, are relegated, while
Boroughmuir pulled-off 'The Great Escape', beating Heriot's and
Glasgow Hawks in their final two fixtures to escape the
promotion-relegation play-off match, and consign Hawks to that
80-minute lottery.
Fair
enough. I was at Marr on Saturday, and NOBODY was begrudging
Hawick their survival. They have gone from ten straight losses to six
wins in eight games and a final 34 points, well clear of the real or
potential relegation slots.
George Graham
If
with that record, George Graham does not win Coach of the Year –
and, no disrespect to Rob Chrystie in writing this – the poll is a
pauchle.
However,
EVERYBODY and I mean everybody I spoke to at Marr, felt the
Murrayfield “suits” had got it wrong, in forcing Melrose – who
again were absolved from all blame in the matter – to play their
final game, a Borders Derby, without half a team.
As
one Marr veteran said: “Even with a full team, Melrose would have
faced a really tough day at Mansfield, against a Hawick side fighting
for survival. I would actually still have fancied Hawick to pull it
off. But, to ask Melrose to go there so-badly under-strength was
ridiculous.”
Another
Marr “Silver Back' raged, quite rightly too IMHO: “This is not
about Marr, or Hawick, or Melrose, the way the final round of
fixtures was arranged had implications for four teams. That game at
Hawick impacted on four clubs: Hawick, ourselves, Glasgow Hawks and
Boroughmuir. The Club international impacted on that.
“There
are no fixtures arranged for 31 March, why not play the game then?”
Admittedly,
playing a game the week after the play-off semi-finals might not seem
right, but, he has a point. Melrose v Hawick had no impact on the top
of the table, but immense impact on the bottom. The integrity of the
league appears to demand that game is played between two clubs able
to pick their strongest XVs.
Ach!
It's only the top strata of the club game – The Lesser-Spotted
Johnson and the Ayatollah Dodson don't know anything about, or care a
jot about the clubs, other than as cash cows – and it shows.
OK,
I accept, some might say, as a “made man” member of the Ayrshire
Rugby Mafia, I have an interest in Marr staying-up. Fair enough, I
wanted them to survive, but, like the guys at Fullarton, I can
accept, over the 18-game season, for all of their considerable
efforts, Marr were found wanting. That's the reality of league play.
Greg Peterson - has bought-into playing for Marr
But,
Marr will be missed – both home and away. They have been a breath
of fresh air, a genuine, old-fashioned CLUB. They don't have a
stand, they lack match-grade floodlights, the whole ethos of Marr RFC
is: “We play rugby, we play to win, but, we mainly play for
enjoyment.” How refreshing.
Their
travelling support will also be much-missed, they really were a
credit to the club, travelling in numbers and supporting their club
with passion and good humour. Well done guys and gals.
I
will miss covering games at Fullarton next season. Standing there on
“Hecklers' Hill” was a return to my days covering Ayrshire Junior
Football. Fewer expletives, however, and those which were uttered
were delivered in politer accents.
I
was, I am certain, the only person in the area where I stood, not to
be a member of Royal Troon GC. These gentlemen were a pleasure to
mingle with.
In
Kevin Quinn, Marr has probably the hardest-working and
most-approachable Club President in Scotland. The Marr hospitality
towards the press corps was exemplary, guys such as Fullarton's
answer to Jack and Victor – Tony “Motors” Peters and Glenn
Davis have become firm friends.
Kris Boyd - was the toast of Fullarton on Saturday night
When
Glen, former Marr centre David Haywood and I raised a glass to Kris
Boyd on Saturday night, nobody blinked, it was a way of raising
spirits metaphorically and physically.
The
professional draft is another bone of contention in club rugby. Mos
pros simply want to play, and put-in a shift when sent down to the
Premiership. One or two seem to think they are better than this, and
merely go through the motions. The odd ones, however, make a
difference, and, in the past I have cited Al Kellock, Dougie Hall and
James Eddie as being paragons in this respect.
To
their numbers, can I add the name of Greg Peterson, to whom I gave
the Man of the Match accolade on Saturday. The big man was just that,
the Big Marr Man. They got all six foot nine inches and 19-stones out
of him – plus a bit more.
The
other three Warriors in the Marr ranks, who also contributed, all
left early, back to their West End of Glasgow territory. Big Greg was
still there, sitting among the home-grown Marr men, enjoying a few
beers.
He
told me: “Listen Mate, I love it here, it's like being back in my
old clubs in Australia and the US – just a bunch of guys who work
all week, and let-off steam by playing rugby and having a few beers
on a Saturday.”
There
you have it, from an experienced professional, international-class
player, who has played in the World Cup – the definition of club
rugby. Hopefully some of the Murrayfield “suits” will pay
attention.
Fin Gillies - "squeaky-bum time for him and his Hawks
(picture shamelessly nicked from the Offside Line)
FINALLY,
after Saturday's games, it is squeaky bum time for Glasgow Hawks, who
will now play either Edinburgh Academical, or, Jed-forest, who
captured Accies' unbeaten record with a 22-6 Riverside victory on
Saturday, in the promotion-relegation play-off, at the end of April.





I saw similar comments on the Offside pieces on the Hawick and your very own in the Marr game.
ReplyDeleteThe question then is
Who calls out the SRU on this?
We seem to be heading to a remarkable confluence of issues - terrible scheduling (West 1 finish on the 19 May!), Super 6 and Agenda 3. Yet no sign of real unrest from clubs or Council reps.
Don't hold your breath for any support from Council they have all nodded this through. The Clubs and more importantly the good people who run them on a voluntary basis need to stand up and be counted Their Council reps will tell them all is well don't worry! When in reality the Sru want far fewer Clubs ( wonder which ones will disappear first) less money invested in them and complete control of all structures along with complete control of all elite or potentially good players.
ReplyDelete