WEEL-KENT
man about Scottish Rugby Bruce
“Happiness is egg-shaped” Aitchison posted the following on
Facebook yesterday.
Bruce Aitchison
Well
said Bruce, and I am happy to post it as a conversation starter,
finding, as I do, very little that he has said to be in any way
wrong.
Ah
hae ma doots about this, but, I would hope the High Heid Yins of
Scottish and World Rugby, and especially you John Jeffrey, take note
and – dae somethin'
before the game we all love is damaged beyond repair.
Bruce
wrote:
Someone's
opinion can be viewed as nonsense or your truth. This is only my
opinion.
Just
for clarity, Scotland lost because Ireland were better. More of that
another time. This is not a comment based purely on that game just
witnessed, but it certainly provides more fuel for my opinionated
fire.
I
don't know enough. I'm not in the Law review meetings, I'm not a
referee, I've never met Beaumont or Pichot but I understand the Laws
and love the game.
The
players are bigger and stronger and faster than ever before. The game
has changed, as it has for every generation.
My
worry for now and the future is the APPLICATION of the Laws. I'm not
concerned by the Laws, I think they are clear. I'm not sure who the
buck should stop with. But, in my opinion, it needs sorted NOW.
Unfortunately,
it is too late as the shop window of the World Cup has bolted. It's
tough talking to parents who aren't sold on the game due to things
like 'collision', 'hit', the 'breakdown', 'tackle height' and
'development age, stage, experience & 'conditioning'. The World
Cup isn't helping this. If the Laws were applied, the game would
change, it would be safer and there would be more space for wider
range of bodies types and size.
The
defence are offside, denying time & space to the attack and
making the game slow, predictable and so all about power and
strength. Run at a brick wall. Test rugby is full of it.
Players
seal off the ball, without supporting their body weight meaning there
is no contest for the ball. This leads to multiple, repetitive phases
that all look the same, all about power and strength. Test rugby is
full of it, especially when 'seeing out the game' when winning with
2mins to go.?
Players
enter the tackle melee from wherever they like, often leading with a
shoulder, tackling players beyond the ball or lifting the opponent
and tipping them out of the game. Test rugby is full of it.
Because
all of this making the game slow, the back field can be full of
players awaiting a kick. Meaning there is hardly any space anywhere
in the field. So let's batter the ball into the sky and pile into the
catcher and hope for a turnover. Which bring the next danger, how do
you challenge safely in the air? Who knows?
The
tackle is head on because of the position of the defence line, half
way up the ruck. This leads to tackle height being above the waist
and leading to the game being based on strength and power. Test rugby
is full of it.
I
love the game. I want players to be on their feet. Driving over and
beyond the ball at the tackle, creating a competition on the floor
and quicker ball with 9 forced to play it.
Don't
even get me started on 9s being allowed hands on but the ball isn't
out, the feed to the scrum making it 3 props rather than 2 + a hooker
who hooks, the squint line out throws and players bouncing back the
back of a maul. That would take all day, and night. And players MUST
use their arms in the tackle.
I
love the game. I love the World Cup. I think Japan is amazing and I
wish I was there. But like most things we love, we accept the
imperfections.
Happiness
is Egg Shaped
WELL,
Bruce
has had his say, and he makes a lot of good points. The implication
is, as I read it – we need the referees to be given clear
guidelines on what is and is not allowed; we then need them to apply
these guidelines, clearly and CONSISTENTLY.
Particularly
at the top end, we now hear of coaches studying the match official
they know they are getting and asking their analysts to provide them
with information:
- How does he referee the breakdown?
- Does he allow “a fair contest?”
- How hot is he on the front rows?
- Where can we push things with him?
The
players are then told what they should and should not do with any
given match official. If there was consistency of law application,
this would not happen.
But,
the referees need to be made to act according to a set protocol, and
they need to be backed, because, if there is to be a clamp down on
something or other, and controversy follows – the referees, not the
law makers, will have to take the flak, so they must be supported.
I
will tell you one thing I would immediately cut out – the way
referees are encouraged to “coach” around the break-down; you
know what I mean:
- “Stay there seven”
- “Get back six”
- “Hands away four”
You
hear it every game. Well, instead of calling instructions, why
doesn't a referee say nothing, but blow his whistle and award the
penalty. I reckon even the stroppiest scrum-half would quickly
realise, we have to play to the laws with this guy, or we will get
crucified.
It
might make for a few weeks of dire, stop-start games where the
penalty count was through the roof, but, if the Unions told the clubs
– sort your players out, make them play to the laws – things
would calm down and we would see a better game.
I
would also, and I make no apologies for repeating this:
BRING
BACK REAL RUCKING
Nothing
would speed-up the game and clean-up the breakdown faster than
insisting:
- At the breakdown, when a ruck is formed, the players MUST:
- Stay on their feet
- Play the ball with a foot
- If they lie there, they get stood on
With
today's all-seeing eye at the top level, the head-kickers, stampers
and rakers would soon be found-out, and hopefully, given lengthy bans
to consider changing their ways.
Having
to ruck, would commit more players to the breakdown, thereby creating
additional space wide out, and,hopefully leading to a more-open game,
with more tries.
Let's
get the game cleaned-up an speeded-up.

Too often with coarse rugby players want to be told. If I give a penalty they say you should have told us! And some old props will yearn for the days when the ref let the scrum police itself so they could sort out the backs, breakdown etc.
ReplyDeletePersonally I never blow for a crooked scrum feed; with the new shoulder law it's just encouraging bad feeds.
Lastly the Farrell tackle on Fiji, well that should have been a red card. And the ref may have been unsigned but the AR should have called it and got the TMO involved. ARs are there to see what the ref misses, eg when the ball is gone any off the ball incidents? His job was to watch the tackle and he was right on top of it. When the Fiji player went down why not stop from a duty of care point of view? HIA is just as important at the RWC as it is on your local park.
Sorry unsighted not unsigned!
ReplyDeleteOk - good stuff from Bruce, but Farrell / Fiji????
DeleteHodge?
DeleteOk - "Hodge emulating Farrell"...?
DeleteYes to rucking would solve a lot of current issues.
ReplyDeleteI’m ambivalent about the ref coaching bit. My adage was always you are only offside when the ref blows his (and it was always a he then) whistle. May explain all the stud marks I used to get on my back :-)