SPEAKING
to another of Scottish Rugby's
'Silverbakcs' this week, he commented: “Times
must be really hard for you guys in the rugby media – even Barney
is struggling to find things to write about.”
Very
true, I just produce this drivel to keep my hand in, how the likes of
the wonderful Mr Barnes, running a commercial operation, remains sane
at this time is a mystery to me.
But,
there are occasional nuggets to be chewed over – such as the
current announcements of new signings and leavers from our full-time
professional clubs.
Ruaridh Jackson - the best moustache in rugby is retiring
Sadly,
with the game in lockdown, such good and faithful servants as John
Barclay and
Ruaridh
Jackson or
Leone
Nakarawa (If
he does move on from Glasgow) or Callum
Gibbins will
be denied the tear-stained, emotional farewell they probably deserve.
That is regrettable, mind you, I would love to see the two Scots
doing an Andy
Henderson an
Alan
Bulloch or
Pat
McArthur and
stepping down to spend maybe a couple of seasons with a top club
side, passing-on their expertise to the next generation.
In
some respects, Edinburgh
and
Glasgow
have,
I think, recruited some core supporters who do not fit the template
for traditional rugby fans. Like supporters of our bigger football
teams, they follow that team, rather than the game in general. If
football is any guide, such fans would love to see their side
recruiting big stars, whom they pay a lot of money for very little,
and with no regard for the cost implications – whereas the
more-traditional rugby fan would rather see the club he used to play
for advancing on the back of home-grown talent which has been
nurtured since micro-mini rugby.
I
can see, in the much-altered face of rugby union in Scotland which
will follow this pandemic, see our two professional sides being
forced to use more home-grown talent. OK, like everyone else, I enjoy
seeing X-factor
players such
as Nakarawa,
Matawalu, van der Merwe (both
of them) or Mata
playing
for a Scottish team, but, regardless of the Alan
Hansen dictum
about young players, I'd prefer to see these guys sprinkling their
stardust over home-bred, Scottish talent.
In
this respect, given his track record at Northampton
Saints, perhaps
Jim
Mallinder will
be the man to put in place a system whereby we have exciting,
well-schooled, young Scottish talent, augmented by genuine
world-class star talent, playing regularly for our two top sides.
I
AM already
beginning to feel sorry for Ian
Barr, who
is not due to take-up the toxic challenge of being SRU
President until
August. Where the bold Ian is concerned, he's already a Dickens novel
– everyone has Great
Expectations,
given the low approval ratings Dee
Bradbury currently
has, and the even lower reputation enjoyed by her immediate
predecessor.
The
thing is, being President is a lot harder these days than it was in
the good old days of the SRU
General Committee. Back
in the day, 'Alickadoos'
such
as the great Lord
Bannerman, Hector Monro or
Ian
McGregor
could spend 20-years scrambling up the greasy pole for that one year
as president.
By
the time they got there, they knew where most of the bodies were
buried and had forged strong bonds with their contemporaries among
the 'blazeratti' of the other countries. Back then too, the paid
executives were very-much the secretariat of the game – the big
decisions were still made by the elected
representatives
of the clubs.
If
Mr Barr can lead a return to these days, he will have done the game a
great service.
So,
as I said, already there are great expectations around the incoming
President. So, sorry Ian, but, here's another line for your already
extensive “to
do list.”
I
have just filed an obituary on the late George
Russell, a true rugby
man to his core: for 50-years president of Moray
House RFC, a former
Edinburgh District Union player and selector, an Edinburgh selector –
perhaps best-remembered in this role for championing the promotion to
the full Edinburgh squad of one Bruce
Hay, then with junior
side Liberton.
George
also served in the refereeing arm of Scottish rugby, on the grading
and appointments committee, while he was a highly-popular liaison
officer with various touring teams in Scotland. Along the way, he
filled all 15 positions for Moray House, for whom he played until a
hip replacement operation caused him to finally hang-up his boots,
aged 72.
Then,
as Chief Steward at Murrayfield, he kept most of the riff-raff out of
the posh seats and away from Princess Anne.
However,
he will be best-remembered for his long and still unwon fight to have
the SRU remember where the game came from and re-establish a proper
Scottish
Rugby Museum
at BT Murrayfield.
The
high heid yins will not allow me anywhere near Headquarters, but, I
am assured by those journalists who have a season ticket to the fun
and games, no SRU AGM was complete before, under “Any other
business” the bold George challenged the powers-that-be as to when
we might see this long-promised by as yet undelivered museum actually
delivered.
George,
sadly, died earlier this month, aged 90, but, I know one or two of
his mates among the golden oldies of Edinburgh and beyond are
determined to see his long fight succeed.
So,
I am happily adding my weight to the campaign. Come on Ian Barr: “DAE
SOMETHIN'” and
realise George's dream.
And,
I can warn The
Junta, George
Russell might no longer be with us, but, his fight goes on, and will
keep going until, hopefully sooner rather than later, it is won.
I had a couple of pictures of George, on a single jpeg, but, unfortunately the ability to split them and merely show the one I wanted to use proved beyond me. Sometimes this technology is way too much for an old hot metal man like what I am.
I had a couple of pictures of George, on a single jpeg, but, unfortunately the ability to split them and merely show the one I wanted to use proved beyond me. Sometimes this technology is way too much for an old hot metal man like what I am.

George was a great guy and a passionate advocate of Scottish rugby history. Treated very shabbily by the folks at Murrayfield.
ReplyDeleteTo this day a clear instruction from the AGM has been ignored.
Sadly the last time I saw him at Murrayfield at the AGM he had to be helped into the stage. The passion still burned bright though.
Go well into the night George. RIP.