Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Sunday, 11 October 2020

A Book About Exeter - Do You Want The Good News Or The Bad?

I HAVE been an Exeter fan since sitting just along from Rob Baxter when they played Glasgow Warriors at Millbrae a few years ago. I loved the story of a wee club which had worked its way up from small beginnings. I like the way they try to play and the presence of Hoggy, Jonny Gray, Sam Skinner and Sam Hidalgo-Clyne in their current squad has only strengthened my bond.


So, I am looking forward to obtaining a copy of the new book – 'Exe Men – The Rise of Exeter,' which is due to be published, by Polaris Publishing, in November. OK, there is a down-side, it is written by The Guardian's Robert Kitson, so, expect gratuitous references to Saracens throughout. It's still a cracking story which deserves to be told.




OKAY, I freely admit, I had a Pauline conversion when it came to Super6, and the voice of the Deity I heard had distinctly Taranaki twang, but, I remain convinced, S6 is an integral part of the future of Scottish Rugby.


Never say never, however, I honestly believe the SRU will stand by its five-year commitment to S6, and I honestly believe, they will support it beyond that.


In fact, I would not be surprised if, in ten years' time, the SRU rugby pyramid looks like this:


  1. Level One – the full Scotland international team.

  2. Level Two – our age group teams

  3. Level Three – Glasgow and Edinburgh

  4. Level Four – a Super 10 competition

  5. Level Five – a National club competition

  6. Level Six – Regional leagues


It has been obvious for some time now, Scottish Rugby cannot afford more than two full-time sides. It has long been suggested, our best chance of a third full-time professional side may well be one based on London Scottish.


Post-Covid, this may not be as-certain. In fact, I have heard it suggested, given the serious reduction in support which The Championship in England has been made aware of by the RFU, that Scottish might find themselves involved in an expanded S6, sooner rather than later. Watch this space.


Given the above, I find the continued opposition in some quarters to S6 a wee bit off. In many cases, this opposition is driven by a combination of jealousy – because the complainant's club is not involved – and a rugby version of politics' “Bain Principle.”


If you have not heard of the Bain Principle, it is a belief, fostered by the Scottish Branch of the Labour Party, and adopted too by the “Scottish” Conservatives. It states: “If the SNP is for it – we are against it.”


The early days of S6 have been an object lesson in “O'Reilly's Corollary.” This, an answer to “Murphy's Law” (If it can go wrong, it will) – states simply: “Dat Murphy always was a feckin' optimist.” To say if it could go wrong, it has, over these early days of S6 is truly to be guilty of under-statement.


However, S6 will bounce back. In fact, the latest delay in resuming playing, into next year, should finally give S6 a chance to show what it was intended to be. I remain confident in its future – in spite of the naysayers.


Mind you, I am not at all happy at some of the franchises' recent acquisitions. Scots-qualified players first – and young, Under-23 Scots-qualified players – please guys.




ON THE same subject (sort of), I have seen some criticism of Glasgow over their recruitment of Samoan cap TJ Ioane on a short-term deal. No qualms about his pedigree, yes, he will hit the ground running, but, surely there are guys in S6 who are worth a short-term punt with Glasgow, or Edinburgh.


The only possible down-side to this is, none of the S6 players has played since mid-March, so, they are bound to be rusty. Under those circumstances, it makes sense to recruit Ioane. However, when S6 is up and running properly, I trust that will be the first port of call for the two full-time squads when they need to recruit.




I WAS only able to watch short highlights of the overnight Bledisloe Cup clash between the All Blacks and Wallabies. It looked like one helluva game. I am, however, still wondering why the ABs didn't go for a dropped goal when, in the 88th minute, wthey were pressing on the Wallabies' line. A bad case of team white line fever I fear.


The Rugby Onslaught website, which is a particularly poor example of the belief that England is the world's leading rugby nation, surpassed its own well-founded reputation for stupidity, however, intheir match coverage.


In the build-up to Jordie Barrett's opening try for the ABs. Rieko Ioane definitely put a foot in-touch across on the other wing. Rugby Onslaught wanted him banned for this, insisting Ioane knew his foot was on the line.


Utter pish, and, if anyone was at fault for not spotting the incident it was surely touch judge Angus Gardner, who was right behind him, had an excellent view and didn't flag. Cue a pile-on of btl commenters, shouting for Ioane's blood.


Mind you, I feel, the fact Ioane blew a certain try whenhe dropped the ball in the act of scoring was maybe Kismet.


Tell, you what, I will join in the condemnation of the foot in-touch, when Rugby Onslaught calls for the electric chair for Owen Farrell, for his crimes against tackling properly.




FINALLY, Mac Davis died last week. He wrote “In The Ghetto” for Elvis. He also wrote “Lord It's Hard To Be Humble” for Me, and for Dom McKay, and we are both in mourning this week.






4 comments:

  1. Remarkably balanced piece, thank you AA. You really are cutting it these days. Change of prescription, or what?

    Nevertheless, most reptiles the DSC hangs out with down around this billabong don't really want to see the continuation of an already failed contrived crock of shit that disfigures and unbalances (in many ways) the whole body of Scottish club rugby.

    So - despite doing a good job, nay an excellent job, these days, you can shove your unspeakable S6 thoughts (and your presumably promised seat on its labouring gravy train, in return for voluntary PR services rendered....) right up there where the sun never shines and where the Murrayfield monkeys store their nuts.

    All good apart from that, old scribe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now if was a pyramid, I'd have fewer qualms about it, but it's not.

    The Pro end of the game is ring-fenced (now extended to include part-time pro), and Clubs with aspirations cannot move up.

    The funding issues may however change all that, as a prolonged Covid existence will devastate the Pro game across the globe.

    The uptake of pay per view in the Premiership will be something to keep an eye on - if this takes off we may have an additional revenue for pro sport, if not, CVC may well be wondering why they have committed so much money and where they will be able to recoup it within a restricted rugby calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can’t too excited about the English Premiership. A rich mans plaything.

    Any old millionaire can deposit cash in a “club” and get there. Bristol anyone?

    I do get Exeter’s beef though and the snippet in the Guardian is pretty damning. Oh that we had similar attitudes in Scottish sport. Seemingly it’s ok to cheat as long as it was won on the field of play.

    I have no idea where S6 will go. We still don’t know what resources will be allocated to club rugby yet.

    That a specific reference to continued support for Super 6 teams specifically was made does worry me. What about us in the poor bloody infantry? Are we not deserving of continued support?

    The bigger issue will be what resources will Murrayfield have to dole out? They foolishly made a commitment to no redundancies, though my advice to staff would be to check the small print. No spectators means much reduced revenue. TV money will only go so far. That 400+ headcount at EH12 ain’t cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just because you keep repeating something doesn’t make it true.
    Neither does continually insulting those that disagree with your S6 view.Speak to the people from the S6 club sides - they are not happy bunnies. And when SRU money floods into S6 when their clubs are struggling for cash the friction will increase.

    ReplyDelete