Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Saturday, 10 October 2020

Shockeroonie - Aristotle Is On The Side Of The Junta

I AM actually starting to feel a wee bit sorry for my friends in the BT Murrayfield Junta, as this pandemic continues to wreak havoc across the world.


They have to be worried about the long-term effects on the game, as the restrictions continue and, below full-time professional level, we are unable to play.


Even where they can get guys playing, in the PRO14 and Internationals, such are the restrictions, the game is bleeding cash and the future looks far from bright.


The Junta cannot be pro-active in getting things back to normal, they can only react to any changes or initiatives brought in by government. This week, we learned that there would be no rugby in Scotland, below PRO14 level, before January, 2021. Pessimist that I am, I see that date as being a wee bit optimistic, but, fingers crossed, it could happen.


I was in contact during the week with one of The Junta, who still speaks to me, and believe you me, the boys at HQ are working bloody hard to try to get rugby out of this current situation in as good a place as possible.


They are in regular touch with the Scottish Government. Their Threat Management Group is meeting regularly to try to stay abreast of things. The SRU Council and the main SR|U Board are meeting regularly and trying to do their best for the game.


But, this is Scotland, and I have seen, on various rugby websites and in comments on this blog – the natives are in their usual state – revolting. I see letters and posts claiming a lack of action. Well, I have been following the Union's advice and guidance to clubs – the latest missive on which was published on Friday, and the advice and notifications put out seem very-comprehensive and easy to follow to me – and I am an old front five “donkey.”


I doubt very much that the SRU could say or do more than they are doing at the present time. Of course, that's not good enough for some within the game. Having spent years complaining about TCD or Dom making statements to the media on behalf of the SRU|, they are now complaining because President Ian Barr took the lead in Friday's announcements.


Now, I realise, Ian has his own day job to contend with, so, there will be times when it is more convenient for TCD or Dom to be quoted, but, I am actually pleased to see Ian taking the lead role.


In politics, the spadework is done by the Civil Servants (well in properly-functioning governments – I doubt if we can attribute that to the Westminster shambles). The civil servants look at the options involved in pursuing a certain line – they then offer alternatives to the elected representatives, who make the final decision. That's how democracy – government of the people,by the peiple works. The peoples' representatives – the elected representatives – make the decisions.


There is a view about, and it is one I agree with, that, over the past few years, through some weak, easily-led representatives being elected to the SRU Council and Board, the paid officials – the SRU's “civil service” was having to, or being allowed to, run things.


I get the impression these days are past and the elected officials are rather more in command of events. So, I am not only happy to see Ian Barr making announcements, I hope to see more of this. It shows democracy is making a come-back.


I have also received missives calling for some public statements by interim Chairman John Jeffrey. JJ is Chairman of SRU Plc, the board. My reading of the situation is, where matters concern the overall Scottish Rugby Union – the body which runs the club game, we should be hearing from Ian Barr and not JJ. That is what is happening.


My advice to some of the moaners is – Aye, you're moaning, but, you'r eScottish, that's what we do, moan and complain. But, in this case, I am with The Junta.


Gie's a brek, we're daein' oor best in difficult times.


By the way, I have also received missives, calling for the abandonment of professional rugby and a return to the good old days of strictly amateur rugby, played by clubs, with the internaitonal team emerging through the best club players being selected for the Inter-District Championship.


To those advocating a return to those days, a wee reality check. We maybe shite today, but, we were shite back then too. These days are past, and in the past they must remain.


Yes, we probably need to again redraw the blueprint for Scottish rugby. Yes, professional rugby may well be unviable in Scotland, but, the reality is, the genie is out of the bottle and Open Rugby is here to stay. There is no going back to the good old days.




FINALLY, this week, I bought my copy of: “Ken Scotland – The Autobiography,” published by Polaris Books.

 


 

The legendary Herioter is, as regular followers of this blog will know, my all-time rugby hero. He was a class act as a player and the book, which apart from an excellent foreword from another class act, Allan Massie, is all his own work, oozes class.


It is a wonderful read, I went through it in jig time. I commend this tome to the house. I may even have to ask the Heriot's high heid yins if I can get into Goldenacre, to have Ken sign it for me.


Put Ken Scotland – The Autobiography on your Christmas wish list.





3 comments:

  1. Damned if they do damned f they don’t AA

    Two issues for me

    Why wait till late on Friday to announce all this? Clubs were supposed to be briefed on events Wed 7 Oct. this was postponed.

    The mood music from the Scottish Government has been deafening. Was it so difficult for SR to arrive at these decisions from Wednesday?

    But the real brammer was this line in the club email “ Scottish Rugby remains fully committed to supporting the six franchises, their part-time professional players and staff. ” so what does that mean?

    Yes it’s very difficult. Other than the TMG what are or Exec team doing? There’s little rugby to deal with

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grovelling stuff, AA - your SRU shilling is (undoubtedly) in the post.

    It is indeed good to see President Ian Barr fronting announcements to the great unwashed (aka SRU member clubs). However, that's all that is happening, since all the material & blurb is clearly produced by the paid lackeys, following deliberations and decisions taken by relevant groups within the organisation, and then issued under the President's name. Presumably, with his consent! So, that's all ok by the reptiles, including the Dreaded Silver Croc. But....!!!!

    What you may have failed to recognise here, dear aged scribe, is that many around the billabongs of Scottish Rugby and Scottish rugby (geddit?) got seriously pissed off at the posturing, self-serving preening, blustering and posing of the executive staff until quite recently, generally whenever there was anything positive to trumpet. Since the Covid shit began to hit the fan, we've hardly heard a cheep from the SRU's overpaid previously hyper-self-promoting front men - which speaks volumes for the (lack of) personal qualities they possess. So, no - your jibes at SRU critics are baseless.

    Moreover, you have got it entirely wrong regarding the role of the chairman in such extreme times of difficulty in sport and in the business of sport. As most knowledgeable thinking individuals will recognise and understand, it is without any shred of doubt that it is incumbent upon the chairman of the organisation's board to lead from the front, given the clear and obvious impact of pandemic-related problems on the very heart and lifeblood of the organisation.

    Corporate and sporting leadership, and effective (regular & clear) communications are areas of significant, crippling deficiency in this governing body about which we write. Time for some deep(er) thought in that darkened room into which you are known occasionally to retreat, AA!

    It's a tough job being an apologist for the Junta, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, the Special6 comment requires further explaining "fully committed to supporting the six franchises, their part-time professional players and staff".

    This sounds like they're in for some special treatment - I wonder what fraction of this additional help the rest of the Club will get access to.

    ReplyDelete