Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Sunday, 4 December 2022

The "Gunners" Are Really Misfiring

I WAS going to watch the Edinburgh v Munster match on TV on Friday night, but, it clashed with a Brazil game at the World Cup, so I went with that instead, switching over to the rugby at full time. This meant I saw the final ten minutes or so from the DAM Health. I was not impressed, by then Edinburgh were well beaten.

There can be little doubt, Munster, after a somewhat barren spell, are on their way back, while I fear Edinburgh are on something of a downer. Rank bad timing, with Saracens, then Castres next up in Europe. Rediscovering their mojo will be a particularly tough test of Mike Blair's coaching credentials. It doesn't help to have wee Darcy Graham injured – I hope the knee injury is not so-bad it keeps him out of the Six Nations.




GLASGOW'S bonus point-win over Zebre was hardly unexpected. However, the final result, after a first half which was almost dire, was welcome.

Glasgow did a lot of good things well, with George Horne's immaculate place kicking a particular bonus, but, in the first half, their discipline left a lot to be desired – although, to be fair they tightened up after the turn-round.

Once again, Fraser Brown's line out throwing – under pressure – left a lot to be desired. This has long been a failing in Brown's game and, at his age, I don't think he can sort it out now.

I was particularly pleased to see Stafford McDowall playing such a prominent part in the Glasgow win. He was one of the home-grown players treated very-badly by Dave Rennie, so, it is good to see the big boy from the Stewartry flourishing under Franco Smith.

This away win – indeed any away win, has been a long time coming, so, let's hope they can build on this breakthrough in the games to come. That said, winning at Bath on Saturday will be a huge ask.




ON THE HOME FRONT hopes of a resurgence in Edinburgh club rugby, on the back of Edinburgh Academical making a strong run for the Tennent's Premiership appear to be back in the box, following the shellacking they took in Hawick on Saturday.

It will take a very good, and lucky team to now derail a bunch of Robbie Dyes who are on a roll and have got the hang of what it means to play fur the toon – and in particular that toon.

I reckon, if The Bill McLaren Shield goes home from Troon on the bus, on 7 January, then the titler will be Hawick's.

In National One, Gala's collapse continued with another heavy loss on Saturday at Watsonians. That's their third heavy loss on the trot, and the promotion race is now I would think a three-horse one.

Kelso are continuing to set the pace, with Melrose and Ayr grimly hanging on to their coat tails, However, Kelso have a useful advantage and will take some stopping.

 
 

not perhaps THE Magnificent Seven, but still a talented Kilmarnock squad

 

When I was a boy, Kilmarnock were the Cocks of the Ayrshire Walk – even Ayr had to give best to Kilmarnock squads which regularly provided a handful of players to the Glasgow team and had, in the likes of Niven Rose, Hugh McHardy, the Martin Brothers, Richard Allen, Jimmy Gibson and Bill Cuthbertson some star performers – some of these, of course, recruited from elsewhere in God's County, and a Sevens squad second only to the then dominant Gala.

So, like I am sure many of my contemporaries, I was shocked when the news came through last night, that Cumnock had put nearly 50 points on Kilmarnock in a West Division One clash, at Broomfield. How are the mighty fallen.




THE OBSERVER is waxing lyrical about Gloucester's Argentinian fly-half, Santiago Carreras, following his role in Saturday;s demolition of Northampton Saints.

Carreras is already his nation's go-to at 10, but is apparently only keeping the cherry and white shirt warm until the regular inhabitant – Adam Hastings – recovers from injury. Or is he? There are now suggestions that Hastings could be moved out one to 12, with Glos adapting to a New Zealand-style first-second-five eighth attacking formation. It is also being mooted, that Adam be moved to his Dad's old position at full-back.

With rumours of a positional change for Hastings; a tsunami of adverse BTL (below the line) Offside Line comments re Blair Kinghorn's performance in Edinburgh's loss to Munster and Ross Thompson's seeming current role as Glasgow's third-choice 10, we will have to start offering prayers for the health of The King Across The Water, as we look forward to the European games and the Six Nations.

By the way – has the wean been born yet? I haven't seen any news.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment