Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Saturday, 17 February 2018

A Virus Couldn't Kill Me - Neither Will Super Six

APOLOGIES for the recent silence. My dear eldest grandson picked-up a particularly nasty 'flu-like virus, which he proceeded to pass-on to Papa. As a result, I have now returned from a week and more, spent mainly in Slumberland, drained, half a stone lighter, but, crucially, little or no wiser on what is happening over Super Six.

 Mark Dodson - has bullied the clubs into staying on board

My thanks go to those who have endeavoured to keep me in the loop, as we approach this crucial stage in Super Six. The bids have to be with Murrayfield by 31 March, and, I am reliably informed – as of now, nine of the ten BT Premiership clubs are among1 would-be bidders for the fabled six franchises. Marr being the only club to have said: “No thanks.”

I find this amazing, and that such a scenario exists, to me, demonstrates the absolute fear abroad in club rugby. Dodson has made it clear – Super Six Will Happen – he is absolutely determined and unshiftable on this, and he believes he has the power to make it so, regardless of what the clubs think.

So, basically, the clubs HAVE to be preparing for this, in spite of clear and obvious deficiencies in the Murrayfield plans as currently known. More than one club High Heid Yin has said to me: “The figures do not add-up,”, but still, rather than telling Dodson to: “Awa an' bile yer heid ha haddie,” or coming-up with some similar Caledonian dismissal quip, they are still in there.

Dodson is bullying the major clubs, and bullies do not listen – they have to be slapped down. Who is going to slap him?

Ayr, like Melrose before them, have called a club meeting to discuss Super Six – it will be at Millbrae, on Wednesday, 28 February, and Mr Dodson is, even as I write, digging out road maps and trying to locate Millbrae, since he has promised to turn-up.

Hopefully, one or two of the Millbrae main stand Silverbacks, who have been saying for some time, they would like the chance to question him on this ham-fisted proposal, will take the opportunity to do so.

Wonder if I will be allowed in? Any ideas Billy McHarg?



WITHOUT that Fancy Dan international stuff getting in the way this weekend, we can concentrate on the staple diet of club rugby, and some good stuff on offer.

The Friday Night Fare was excellent. Glasgow produced some cracking rugby in beating the Toyota Chiefs to guarantee their place in the end-of-season Play-Offs. One or two of the Glasgow tries were absolute top drawer and, what a fantastic performance the three wee-est men on the park, Niko Matawalu, Nick Grigg and George Horne produced. It fair warmed-up a caul nicht.

Nick Grigg - a stand-out in a great night for the wee men

But, you have to give immense credit to Edinburgh for that massive win in Belfast. Victories are always hare-earned at the Kingspan, and this one was no different. Even when Ulster took that late lead, I fancied Edinburgh would hit back, and, great for wee Dunky Weir that he should score the match-winning dropped goal. Write the wee man off at your peril world.

I worried when Richard Cockerill was named as Edinburgh Head Coach, I didn't see his style fitting-in in Scotland, but, I was wrong. He has been a breath of fresh air to the capital side and I hope he hangs around for a bit yet.

And, before I finally put Friday night to bed, this Saturday morning, can I just say, what a terrific display of refereeing George Clancy put on at Scotstoun. Like everyone else in Scotland, I have been hard on our George in the past, but, this season, I feel he has become a much-better official, and he was excellent last night.

George Cancy - excellent on Friday night

In the BT Premiership today, although there are no absolute stand-out fixtures, every one counts for something or other, and, this close to the end of the campaign, this has to be a good thing.

As I have said before, the Murrayfield Mafia can insist all they want, that the Premiership is not fit for purpose – maybe not for the purpose they want for it, but, for what the clubs involved want – it works and there are some cracking games today.

I will be at Millbrae, where the Alloway faithful are bidding farewell to Head Coach Calum Forrester and veteran forwards George Hunter and Scott Sutherland in what will be, for each, their final home game. It just happens to be against Hawick, who beat Ayr at Mansfield last week, and, Ayr badly need full points in the increasingly tight play-off battle. So, this ought to be good.

But, there are equally huge games right across Scotland.

Can I perhaps direct neutrals to a couple of leagues where the battle has raged all season and has no sign of slackening off. West Regional Divisions One and Two, arguably the two tightest divisions in Scotland.

Just about the club game of the day will be at Broomfield, where Cumnock, second in West Division Two, entertain league leaders Paisley – this one will be an absolute cracker.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back and glad you are feeling better. The radio silence was quite disconcerting given your usually prolific output.

    The devil as they say is in the detail. Nothing lost (except considerable time) in putting in an application. Will get much more interesting from the 1st April onwards not least the SRU having to make decisions on who gets a franchise.

    Then the fun starts with the knock on effects to the club game!

    I see the Offside Line are reporting that Spartans won’t be taking up a franchise but instead looking to redevelop Wardie playing fields.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting move by Spartans, from what I've been told Edinburgh Leisure haven't been great at running Wardie lately, certainly been poor at Meggetland

    ReplyDelete