SOMETIMES,
like on Saturday, when we Senior Citizens, as we occasionally do –
go ape shit at a Scotland victory, some young whipper-snapper will
caution us to: “Keep the heid grandpaw, what are you getting so
worked-up about?”
Huw Jones might benefit from a summer break
We
cannot really say: “Wait till you've had the number of scunnerings
I've endured at the hands of the English, then, you will know why we
lose it when we gubb them;” that knowledge and experience has to be
learned, endured even. Also, as I have been forced to reveal to
younger Tartan Army foot soldiers, when I am roaring-on Scotland with
a fervour which does not become my great age: “I am shouting for a
few guys who are no longer here to shout with me.”
One
of the joys/sorrows of being a Scottish Rugby Philosopher is, I have
to reflect on any deeper significances of victories such as Saturday.
Sure, I enjoyed Saturday night, and Sunday, but, today, I have to
look for lessons we can learn from victory.
And,
that got me thinking about Wee Bill – a rather good scrum-half, an
even better club official, sadly taken far-too-early by the big C.
Bill was old school, he thought Rugby Union sold its soul when it
went open and wanted nothing to do with the game. He forecast many of
the problems which have arisen following the August 1995 change, and,
he certainly was right when he said, the professional side of the
game would become, to the guys at Murrayfield, the be-all and
end-all, to the detriment of the club game he loved.
I
would like to think, had he been spared, Bill would be with me in
opposing Super Six and what it stands for.
He
did say, the need to keep making more money, to drive professionalism
forward, would lengthen the season, increase the demands on players,
and lead to more instances of player burn-out.
Back
in the early 1970s, just as the Scottish Leagues began, Bill, who was
still only in his mid-twenties, opted-out of first XV play. He had
just got married and taken over the family firm, he could not afford
the time required to train for the new league structure – even
then, “more professional”, if not actually “professional”,
so, he, and it has to be said, one or two contemporaries, stepped
down to play for his club's 4th XV – the social side.
That
side was good, at least six of them could still, had they had the
inclination, have played in the 1st XV, but, they would
not have enjoyed it, and, in any case they were having too-much fun
where they were.
Just
about every club had that sort of side back then, training was an
option, having fun was compulsory Today, very few clubs still have
that sort of side. You still get such teams in hockey, in “pub
teams” in Sunday Leagues and at the lower leagues in amateur
football, but, in rugby – such teams come into the category of
“rocking horse shit.”
Another
unsung aspect of the social side is, while they have a hard core of
battle-toughened forwards, they also tended to include one or two
young whippets, or if you were lucky greyhounds, to do the running.
These kids got the best kind of coaching – on-field, in real game
time – and were often the better for it when, as they did, they
moved up to serious rugby. Doesn't happen today, sadly.
Another
thing from back then, we had definite seasons. You could not play
15-a-side before 1 September, or after 30 April, without permission
from Murrayfield – which was rarely given. Players, even the very
best guys, unless on a Lion's or a national tour, got a decent break.
Today's
top guys are being flogged mercilessly. They are making so-much
money, their clubs and the national unions, need to keep working them
through increasingly long seasons, to generate the necessary cash.
Andrew Ker - perhaps the last double internationalist
Never
again, for instance, will we see double internationalists such as
Norman Mair, David Bell or Andrew Ker, able to play at the top level
in Rugby Union during the winter and cricket in the summer. And, as I
have said before, given the attrition rate in modern rugby, careers
will shorten.
I
reckon one of the reasons behind Scotland's win over England on
Saturday was, our guys had, across the two squads, played fewer
games. The English clubs work their players harder than the SRU does
the Edinburgh and Glasgow guys – their clubs do not have the SRU's
player rotation protocols. England had more players with the Lions
than we had – there was a fatigue element in play, and, when we
started to play our “organised chaos” game, the English could not
cope.
But,
I think, Murrayfield should be looking more-carefully at player
management. The 2019 World Cup starts on 20 September, 2019 – 80
weeks away. In those 80 weeks, our top players have to cram: the
sharp end of the 2017-18 PRO14 season, including the play-offs, a
short summer tour to North America, the full 2018-19 PRO14 season,
plus the 2018-19 European games, the 2018 Autumn Internationals, the
2019 6Nations, plus warm-up games prior to Japan – that's a Hell of
a lot of rugby.
I
honestly feel one or two of our players would be nane the waur o' a
summer break this year. Huw Jones, for instance, came straight off a
Super Rugby/Currie Cup season into a full Glasgow/Scotland one. We
could easily leave him at home this summer, and send Mark Bennett and
Matt Scott, both of whom have been relatively under-played this
season, off with Scotland.
Leaving Jonny Gray to enjoy a summer off might be a good idea
Likewise,
Jonny Gray has been hard-worked over the last two years; give him the
summer off, while maybe Richie might benefit from the trip in his
place. We have enough props to pick from, while we maybe should be
looking at giving some of our second-string breakaways a chance to
show what they could do.
I
know in football, agreements regarding summer tours often call for
some, if not all, the “stars” to play – maybe we should allow
the likes of Messrs Barclay and Russell a wee break, to get their
house moves sorted out and keep them fresh with an eye on 2019.



Anyone with a modicum of common sense and an interest in Scottish club rugby would oppose Super Six. So I think you are safe in your assumption that "Wee Bill" would be with you in your opposition of this impending travesty.
ReplyDelete"Just about every club had that sort of side back then, training was an option, having fun was compulsory"
ReplyDeleteIt's a big bit that's missing from the Club game today - too many Club folk (young and old alike), focus solely on the 1st xv league position, making this the measure of a season success and pay lip service to us being a sport for all.
Perhaps that should be the strap line for Agenda 3.1 - "Having fun is compulsory"
I do like your strap line idea pegj - real rugby.
ReplyDeleteNo fun, no future.
DeleteHear hear!
ReplyDeleteI started out in our 5ths - as I couldn’t get a game in the colts because of better players. Think I was 15 or 16 at the time. Best education possibly bike for rugby as you say.
I then watched all these teams melt away and see their final death with the introduction of subs.
For our current two men’s senior sides we need about 70 players! Match that throughout the land and it goes some way to explaining the dearth of teams and call offs
Great point Clubfan. I appreciate we've got Elf N Safety, which was never a consideration when I was a boy, but, it's an easy fix. I guess most guys would rather play 80 minutes than 20 - sort-out the replacement rules and get guys back playing.
ReplyDelete