YESTERDAY,
we
had a wonderful example of George
Orwell's dictum:
“News is
something somebody does not want published – everything else is
public relations.” This
happened when The
Hootsmon scooped
the world, by publishing a picture of the new Scotland
World Cup kit, one
day before the official launch.
Of
course, being The Hootsmon, and with Head
of Sport Graham Bean on
a day off and Rugby
Writer Duncan Smith on-holiday,
nobody noticed. Whatever, it was a grand fuck-up, but, this whole
unveiling of the kit has been yet another example of how clueless
the SRU
currently
is when it comes to public relations.
On
Tuesday,
those
members of the press corps still welcomed at HQ were rounded-up to
hear the earth-shattering news that the Union was sticking with
Macron
as
kit suppliers in “a
seven-figure deal.” The
actual kit launch is today, while there will be a public event, to
allow the season ticket holders to see the new kit, at Murrayfield,
a
week today.
Good
luck at trying for three bites at the cherry SRU, but, I don't think
there is the interest to justify this approach. That said, rather a
good wee video on their Facebook page.
Any
way, here are a couple of likely lads, wearing the new kit:
Hoggy and JB modelling the new RWC 2019 jerseys
By
the way, my very-dear friend “Buddy”
Horler is
on-holiday, so, I cannot blame him for the cock-up.
STEVEN
LONGWELL'S departure
from Ayr, for the sunnier climes of Verona,
has
created a bit of a stir in the game here. In going to play in Italy,
Steven is following in the footsteps of erstwhile team-mate Scott
Lyle, who
is with Venice
in
the top-flight of Italian domestic rugby.
Both
left with the good wishes of the Ayr club and Glen
Tippett, Chief Operating Officer at
Ayr made it clear, when I spoke to him this week, they wish Steven
all the best in his new life.
Steven Longwell - who now plays Verona
Looking
ahead, Longwell and Lyle might be the trail-blazers of more players
from the Scottish game going abroad – albeit, in moving to Italy
they are only going where the likes of Stuart
Magorian and
Ross
Curle have
gone before.
I
can well see Super-6
players,
who fail to find a place with either Edinburgh
or Glasgow, or
in the second tier in England, increasingly moving to the second tier
World Rugby countries in Europe. It would, I would surmise, be nice
to sample life in the
Netherlands, Germany, Belgium or Spain or Portugal,
for someone who has experienced S6.I can see this happening, and,
when Scotland is independent and back inside the EU, such transitions
will be easier.
WORLD
RUGBY has
this week confirmed the immediate law change to prevent
“Axial-loading”
at
the scrum engagement, an issue on which I have already blogged. WR
has also issued a very-clear and instructive document on the
cognitive processes match officials should follow when assessing the
penalty following a high tackle or shoulder charge.
I
suggest ever5yone interested, and in particular the “Talking
Heads”
in the media who have to immediately pontificate during commentaries
– if they did, it might save a lot of instances of “Foot
In Mouth Disease.”
Of
course, even then, there will still be motor-mouths getting it wrong,
but, that's life. However, I found reading the World Rugby press
release on this matter very illuminating.
Owen Farrell waits to hear if he's getting a red or a yellow card
And
hopefully, somebody at Saracens
will
read the guide-lines and explain them to Owen
Farrell, so
he can work-out whether he is getting a red or a yellow card every
time he assaults someone.



So season ticket holders getting an invite to a kit launch - I wonder if any of the other stakeholder without whom our sport would not operate will be invited - the players, referees, volunteers, etc.
ReplyDeleteApparently it is "A public training session," but, as I understand it, the season ticket holders are getting priority in applying. As ever, the Junta appears to be making it up as they go along. SNAFU - the new SRU motto.
DeleteA number of clubs have been invited
ReplyDeleteAyr players get paid big money. Shxx 6 has a cap so players will go oversees or down to Engerland lower divisions for more money.
ReplyDelete