Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Monday, 22 July 2019

The SRU - not bad on twitter; rubbish on a main website

BIG DAVID BARNES, even while on-holiday in Shetland, managed to outdo the mainstream media, and the many talents in the SRU's in-house media department, with his coverage of the weekend's rugby that mattered – The Women's Seven in Rugby Europe Grand Prix action, in Kharkiv, in Ukraine, and the first matches in the summer Fosroc Scottish Rugby Academy inter-regional matches.

David Barnes - even in his budgie smugglers, he outdoes the msm

To be fair, or perhaps to damn them with faint praise. At least the SRU's media team put-out updates on twitter. The Sevens stuff, from Ukraine was, it has to be admitted, more-comprehensive than the Academy stuff from Aberdeen – probably easier to get to and with better internet access than up there in “Furry Boots City.”

The coverage of the Academy games by the SRU was – in one word – pish. No squads announced pre-tournament, no teams, or scorers afterwards. For the record, Glasgow beat Caledonia 52-7 in the opening Under-20 match, but the hosts won the Under-18 game 72-12 and the Under-16 game 40-0.

So-much for the presumption around HQ that rugby north of the Forth doesn't matter. I appreciate (and I am making a big assumption here) that the Caledonia squads were probably “Stirling-heavy”, but, there clearly is talent in Caledonia, let's hope it gets a chance to emerge.

As I am getting fed-up saying, the mainstream media in Scotland has all but turned-off rugby below PRO14 level, so, rugby has to up its game to make-up for this and keep the public interested. This means, instead of importing a less-than stellar name from politics to head-up “External Affairs,” The Junta should maybe be looking for an experienced rugby journalist, who knows his stuff, and can motivate the staff to find and rite the stories the msm are ignoring.

That way, they could build-up a following for their website, energise the rugby community and improve the game.

I was disappointed, when I checked the online edition this morning, to see the Aberdeen Press and Journal had failed, at least online, to mention Sunday's games. I can only assume my old mate Jack Nixon was either on-holiday, or had blagged his way to Portrush to cover The Open. Usually, if anyone farts in Caledonia, Jack knows about it.

With regard to the Sevens girls; they have qualified for the 2021 World Series Qualifier, to be held in Hong Kong next year, thanks to their fifth-place finish in Kharkiv.

The finishing order was:


  • First – Russia

  • Second – France

  • Third – Poland

  • Fourth – Ireland

  • Fifth – Scotland

  • Sixth – Belgium

  • Seventh – Netherlands

  • Eighth – Italy

  • Ninth – Spain

  • Tenth – Wales

  • Eleventh – England

  • Twelfth – Ukraine


Now, this may “only” be Sevens, but, these results demonstrate, nations not traditionally viewed as rugby nations are catching-up, and the established nations such as Scotland are going to have to up their game to stave-off the challenge from the newcomers.

Rugby is growing as a world sport and we cannot simply assume, because it has “aye been” that Scotland is a Tier One nation, this situation will continue. When myself and the other “Baby Boomers” were growing-up, we simply assumed, Scotland would be permanent fixtures at the football World Cup Finals – well, in our dotage, we ken different noo. Scottish Rugby dare not be as complacent and as indolent as Scottish Football has become.



HUGH BARROW, that weel-kent man about Bearsden and the greener parts of the West End of Glasgow, posted an interesting wee snippet on the Hawks Legends page on Facebook this morning.

Hugh Barrow - still setting a fast pace when it comes to a club website

It was a piece from a Sydney newspaper, highlighting the excellent form of Sam Thomson, for Warringah Rats, in their local derby grudge match in the Shute Shield at the weekend.

Sam who? Those of you with short memories might ask. But, big Sam is ane o' oor ain. He is, like Richie Gray, Scott Cummings and Andrew Davidson , off the Kelvinside Academy lock forward production line, and, like them, he played for Glasgow Hawks, earned Scotland age group honours, and got a Glasgow Warriors contract.

However, like the now-returned Davidson, he was allowed to leave – but, at least he got one game for Warriors. He then decamped to Sydney, where he has established himself in the Rats boiler-house, and been invited to train with the Super Rugby Brumbies.

Sam Thomson - rejected by Warriors, now wanted by Australia

He becomes Australian-qualified next year and, if as expected, one or two Australians opt for big-money Japanese contracts post the Rugby World Cup, then big Sam is one who is being touted as a possible Super Rugby and Wallabies recruit.

For as long as we only have two full-time professional teams, and a lack of rugby expertise and leadership within Murrayfield – we are going to run the risk of losing potential of players such as big Sam. Time we sorted things out.

5 comments:

  1. The question is if an article in published in a newspaper, how many people read it?

    I stopped buying a daily paper several years ago. The Herald, since you ask, which I’d bought for 30 years. The quality of the paper has drastically declined over that time and I was getting more and more irritated with its editorial line.

    I still buy weekend papers though. But I suspect I’m in a very small minority.

    It’s all about the views and clicks now and I suspect that Twitter probably reaches more people even just in a cursory way.

    I applaud Mr Nixon’s work. However I would place him as the oracle of North rugby. Caledonia stretches down to the Forth and the P&J isn’t sold down there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met Jack Nixon at the cricket yesterday as he had travelled down to watch Stoneywood Dyce play Carlton in the Scottish Cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, I knew he would be working. Unfortunately, he cannot be in two places at once.

      Delete
  3. Aye, rugby is still played in Aberdeen, just south of the arctic circle and in the summer months when the permafost retreats...get a grip Snuff and ditch some of your pathetic prejudices...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Pathetic prejudices," where? Rugby in Caledonia gets a raw deal from Murrayfield. My point was, if they could tweet a blow-by-blow review of the action from Ukraine, why not from Aberdeen?

      Delete