Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Wednesday, 6 June 2018

Toony Names His Side For Canadian Test

GREGOR Townsend has named the Scotland team which will face Canada in the first of the three Summer Tests. The match, in Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium will kick-off at 2am on Sunday morning, and is live on BBC Scotland.

 

Grant Gilchrist captains the side


With so-many established names missing, it is a somewhat callow XV, which will, with Tour Captain Stuart McInally injured, be captained by Edinburgh lock Grant Gilchrist. Also, the potential swing in the balance of PRO14 power is demonstrated by the split in home-based Scots, with Edinburgh providing seven of the starting XV – plus scrum-half Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, a definite Edinburgh player although he will be seen in Scarlets' colours next season – to Glasgow's three starters.

Two players, Harlequins' centre James Lang and Edinburgh flanker Jamie Ritchie will make their Scotland debut in the match, while Edinburgh lock Lewis Carmichael and Glasgow fly-half Adam Hastings are in line for their first start off the bench.

Allan Dell, back for his first representative game since his Lions cameo a year ago

Allan Dell, whose club season was ruined by injury is selected at loose-head, his first representative appearance since his cameo for the British and Irish Lions in New Zealand almost a year ago.

The team, in 1-23 order is:

Allan Dell (Edinburgh), Fraser Brown (VICE CAPTAIN) (Glasgow Warriors), Simon Berghan, Ben Toolis, Grant Gilchrist (CAPTAIN), Magnus Bradbury, Jamie Ritchie (all Edinburgh), David Denton (Leicester Tigers); Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Scarlets), Ruaridh Jackson (VICE CAPTAIN) (Glasgow Warriors); Byron McGuigan (Sale Sharks), James Lang (Harlequins), Chris Harris (Newcastle Falcons), Lee Jones (Glasgow Warriors); Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh). Replacements: George Turner, Jamie Bhatti (both Glasgow Warriors), Murray McCallum, Lewis Carmichael (both Edinburgh), Luke Hamilton (unattached); Ali Price, Adam Hastings (both Glasgow Warriors),Mark Bennett (Edinburgh).

 






6 comments:

  1. I see heriots are advertising their super six coach £35-£45k a season https://www.indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=d75680660c98b172&from=appshareios&dupclk=0

    ReplyDelete
  2. I notice, no mention of the successful candidate having to be acceptable to the SRU's Performance Department. I thought they were going to have a say in all six Head Coach appointments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating job ad.

    So run semi pro franchise, win games, coordinate with amateur clubs and schools.

    Oh and start part time then shift to full time at a to be decided date.

    All for £35-45k!!!

    I assume the contribution from the SRU must be total wage, tax and NI costs as I recall it was pitched at £60kish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspector Clouseau will doubtless comment in due course, i.e. after being briefed by someone who knows a little about rugby & finance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was under the impression that HQ allocated the coach to the franchisee. Maybe the goalposts have been moved again? No never that couldn't happen!! Perhaps HQ are asking the Club's to advertise and offer the package with HQ then deciding who gets the job. I wonder if that would be £125k plus coaches salary for the Club's to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fascinating piece in TOSL

    https://theoffsideline.com/super-6-heriots-neil-meikle/

    I’m struggling to know where to start with this

    ReplyDelete