I love the Welsh - because they're the only people Fifers can look down on as thick-as-two-short-plank inbreds. They are the world's worst winners (Celtic fans are the world's worst losers btw). I lived amongst them for a year and have still to meet a Taff with two active brain cells.
So, I am not surprised that they have announced a youthful Six Nations squad, minus the name of Stephen Shingler of London Irish. If I had just won a nationality tug-of-war over a player, I'd make bloody sure he was in my squad and on the field at the end of the opening game of the tournament.
But, nobody in Wales has been that smart - which leads me to believe - they are being deliberately obstructive towards the SRU.
WHEN you are covering football, you soon learn not to approach a referee for clarity on a decision - their word is law and they will not speak to the general public, far less a journalist, to explain any decision.
So, it is great to be back doing rugby and to be able to appraoch a match referee after a game and have a perhaps contentious decision explained.
I was at Ayr v Stirling County on Saturday and thought Gary Gordon, the match referee, had got one big decision wrong - so, in the bar after the game, I asked him about it - got a full explanation and, on reflection, can only congratulate him on a brilliant piece of on his feet thinking.
We are harsh on our home-grown referees, often rightly so, but, in this instance, well done Mr Gordon.
And, by the way, the worst referee I have seen this season was a highly-rated Irish referee, who seems to me to be a shoo-in candidate for a place in Max Boyce's Sunshine Home in Dublin.
No comments:
Post a Comment