IT
WAS very
disappointing, downright heart-breaking, but, Glasgow were unable to
extend their defence of the guinness Pro12 title all the way to the
Grand Final, after Saturday night's defeat by Connacht, in Galway.
Let
me straight, from the outset – the better team won, and deservedly
so. Connacht have been the most-consistent side in the Pro12 all
season, they deserve their place in the final, at Murrayfield, on
Saturday. That final will be an all-Irish affair, the country cousins
from the far West of Ireland, against the city slicker “Dubs”
from Leinster. I will, of course, be backing Connacht – well, you
would always rather your side lost to the eventual champions.
But,
being Scottish, I have to be disappointed that Glasgow lost. The
truth is, the Glasgow magic seemed to evaporate during that loss to
Connacht in the final regular season game, in Galway, a couple of
weeks ago. We hoped they could recover from that, but, they couldn't.
Ok, the loss of Finn Russell, and to a certain extent Simone Favaro,
greatly handicapped Glasgow, but, the spark just wasn't there. On which subject, I trust Finn is not so-badly hurt as first reports appear to indicate.
Finn Russell - his injury looks serious
After
Hibs' brilliant Scottish Cup win on Saturday, and mindful of the
Irish invasion which will hit Edinburgh on Saturday – the capital
will definitely be the place to be on Saturday night – the craic
will be good, very good indeed.
Yesterday's
game was a disappointing way for Leone Nakarawa's time at Scotstoun
to end, we will miss the big man greatly, but, I have confidence in
Toony being able to find someone with the X-factor of Leone and Miko
- “the Weegies frae Fiji” for next season.
D'arcy Rae - came of age in Galway
I
was personally very happy for the little-known and under-rated D'arcy
Rae, who came off the bench to replace Zandr Fagerson and never took
a backward step. The big boy from Troon, more-often seen in an Ayr shirt, put in a shift and a half.
EARLIER,
I
watched Saracens put Leicester to the sword in the English play-off
semi-final. This was, in many ways a typical English game, with
Saracens' all-round professionalism and excellence carrying the day.
I thought Duncan Taylor again showed what a terrific player he is. I
hope the injury he sustained is not so-serious that it keeps him out
of the tour to Japan.
And,
well done too to Exeter, who will meet Sarries at Twickenham on
Saturday. Their rise to the top has been brilliant, in Rob Baxter
they have a wonderful Director of Rugby and I am sure, Saturday's
final will be a cracker.
I
ALMOST forgot
– well done big “Morry”, The Scotsman Group's Iain Morrison,
who, on Thursday night, was inducted into the London Scottish Hall of
Fame.
Iain Morrison playing for Scotland



No comments:
Post a Comment