Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Wednesday, 6 January 2021

I Hope Andy Gets It Right This Time

WHEN, as teenagers, they locked the Glasgow Hawks and Scotland Under-20 scrum together, I rather fancied Andrew Davidson would break through faster than Scott Cummings – I got that one wrong then. Today, big Scott is a Scotland regular, while Andy's restless nature has taken him off to Gloucester.

 

 


Andy has been messed about a lot by Murrayfield. While in the Academy, he was sent down to London Scottish, and they couldn't even supply a bed long enough for his six foot eight frame. Some, such as George Horne and Robbie Fergusson thrived at Richmond Athletic Ground, Andy didn't. He came back up the road, was made a derisory offer to play for Glasgow – by the Lesser-spotted Johnson, (remember him) and opted for a better offer from Newcastle Falcons' Academy – where he thrived and broke into their first-team squad.


Back then to Glasgow where he played more games for Ayr or Stirling County, then along the M8 to Edinburgh, now off to Gloucester, where he could form an exciting boiler house partnership with “Galloway-Irishman Alex Craig.


I have a definite soft spot for big Andy, I hope this time, it works for him. Scotland, as a nation,has never been over-endowed with useful big men, what a shame, Andy is just one of several around these days, whose attributes do not seem to be appreciated by the Murrayfield insiders.


I know, with only two full-time SRU-owned clubs, decisions as to which young players to keep and which to let go are difficult, but, a few they have released have flourished outside the SRU bubble – Andy could well be another.


And, speaking of locks – when, if ever, are we going to see the dream team of Richie Gray and Leone Nakarawa locking a Glasgow scrum? Asking for a friend.




WE ALL know that legendary story of the proud Scottish mother, watching the troops from a Highland regiment marching through the toon, pipes playing, bayonets fixed, flags flying – who suddenly shouts out: “Look, they're awe oot o' step but oor Jock.”


Something definitely Scottish about that old chestnut. However, when it comes to the vexing problem of The British and Irish Lions, I think it is a case of: “I say, everyone's out of step except our Rupert.” (in a Home Counties accent). Because the biggest barrier in the way of getting a tour to South Africa any time soon is the powerful club lobby within the RFU.


I honestly fear we might not see the 2021 Tour happen – because if we are relying on the governments of the UK and South Africa to get a proper vaccination programme in place any time soon – that is surely a triumph of hope over expectation which not even Dorothy Parker, who coined that phrase, could envisage.


We all know Baw Jaws and Co couldnae run a gird, but, I hear from South African friends, the Toerags down at Westminster are paragons of competence compared to the guys running thing in the Rainbow Nation.


Various alternatives have been suggested, all of which have drawbacks:


  • Put the Tour back until the Autumn

  • The English clubs would kick-up hell, as this would get in the way of their European hopes

  • Reverse the fixtures and have the South Africans – the World Champions - tour the British Isles

  • Would crowds be allowed?

  • Quarantine protocols could be a problem

  • Who would play against South Africa, other than the four Home Nations?

  • Where would the games be held?

  • What would be the division of finances?

  • Put the tour back to 2022

  • How would this impact on 2023 World Cup preparations?


Could they all agree. Whatever happens England will want to have the biggest say, and that could be bad news for the Celtic fringes.


 

 

I have to an extent fallen out of love with the Lions concept – probably because we Scots have not had a fair crack of the whip around recent squads. Some Scot, I fear, must have given the young Gatland a doing, so little regard does he have for us and our players.


Maybe it's time to reinvent the Lions concept;. Perhaps make the Lions a development side, taking the best of the young talent in the British Isles, mix it with some experienced old heads, who are easing down their international commitments, and perhaps filling a development role among the tier two and three nations.


Such are the physical demands of modern international rugby, the top players I feel, certainly need at least one long summer break over a four-year World Cup cycle. Better to be relaxing on some beach, than off on a Lions Tour, even one of today's ridiculously short ones.


We really need to either rethink the Lions concept, or bin them altogether and concentrate on real international rugby. I know, it's a hard one.




I AM currently helping out an Ayrshire club, trace some old guys for a forthcoming anniversary. Along the way I am touching base with one or two guys I have neither seen, nor thought off, in many a long day.


It's good fun, remembering some of the scrapes we got into back in the carefree amateur days of yore. I think we definitely had more fun. Without leagues back then, sure, it hurt to lose, particularly if, as often happened, you were screwed by a referee named ”Homer,” stupid, and definitely yellow when it came to penalising the home team.


Here in the South West, we barely had to travel more than 50 miles for a game and we had great fun. Hopefully, in the aftermath of Covid, we will get back to a more-localised and enjoyable brand of rugby.


But, it has been great fun reconnecting with some past legends.




3 comments:

  1. A more likely scenario for the Lions is cancel the tour and push the 6 Nations into the slot.

    Currently the tournament is going to be spectator free and that is bad news for the Unions.

    Which pushes the Lions into 2022. Problem being Wales are in SA and England won’t be happy about losing players to that tour given the attrition it has on them.

    We will see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old days were definitely better. No camera phones thankfully!

    And the days before yellow cards. Don’t think I would have lasted long with today’s laws 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Good Old Days when, if someone was about to be sent off, the opposition would petition the referee to let him stay on - so they could administer their own brand of justice.

      Delete