Aristotle Armstrong

Aristotle Armstrong
The thrawn, alternative voice of Scottish Rugby

Tuesday, 25 October 2016

Few Surprises In Scotland Squad

BIG Vern Cotter didn't pull any rabbits from his baseball cap when he named his squad for the Autumn Tests this morning. Indeed, I reckon I would have got at least 28 out of 30 if I had been asked to do the old “Chiefy” Cameron (the late Alex “Candid” Cameron of the Daily Record) trick and have the squad list in a sealed envelope in my desk drawer even before it was announced.

The squad is:

PROP

Allan Dell (Edinburgh Rugby) - uncapped
Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby) – 58 caps
Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 1 cap
Moray Low (Exeter Chiefs) – 34 caps
Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors) – 18 caps

HOOKER
Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby) – 99 caps
Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors) – 17 caps
Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) – 9 caps

SECOND-ROW
Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) – 12 caps
Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 25 caps
Richie Gray (Toulouse) – 58 caps
Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors) – 24 caps

BACK-ROW
John Barclay (Scarlets) – 52 caps
John Hardie (Edinburgh Rugby) – 12 caps
Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors) – 18 caps
Josh Strauss (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps
Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby) – 2 caps
Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) – 20 caps

SCRUM-HALF
Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester) – 53 caps
Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors) – 18 caps

STAND-OFF
Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 20 caps
Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors) – 19 caps

CENTRE
Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors) – 16 caps
Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors) – 18 caps
Huw Jones (Stormers) – 1 cap
Duncan Taylor (Saracens) – 18 caps

WING
Damien Hoyland (Edinburgh Rugby) – 2 caps
Sean Maitland (Saracens) – 23 caps
Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) – 29 caps
Tim Visser (Harlequins) – 26 caps

FULL-BACK
Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) – 45 caps

In addition Back-row Magnus Bradbury (Edinburgh Rugby), centre Nick Grigg, wing Rory Hughes and scrum-half Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) have been invited to train with the squad.

Adam Ashe (foot), Kevin Bryce (shoulder), David Denton (hamstring), Ryan Grant (back), Willem Nel (neck), Rory Sutherland (groin) and Duncan Weir (jaw), were not considered due to injury.

As I said, it was none-too-difficult to argue with BVC's selection. I am a wee bit concerned at our lack of depth at prop. Alasdair Dickinson, if fit, would have started at one, but, with the length of time he has been out of action, he cannot possibly be match-sharp.

Gordy Reid will probably be asked to start, although, Moray Low has been playing well at loose-head for Exeter. I still feel, however, Low might get the nod at three, given Zander Fagerson is still a bit up an down in his play.

Allan Dell has had to wait a wee while for his chance. He is very mobile, and he certainly looked good against Harlequins at the week-end. But, he is still third-choice loose-head at Edinburgh – is this sufficient to be international class?

I often wonder what Ben Toolis has to do to add to his single cap. I think he is a better long-term bet than Tim Swinson. Indeed, I would also rank big Frazer McKenzie of Edinburgh ahead of Swinson, but, BVC keeps faith with the Glasgow man.

I think the selection marks the end of the line for one or two players – Sean Lamont, Pat McArthur, Blair Cowan etc. Matt Scott might yet add to his caps collection, but, Ruaridh Jacksons failure to gt regular games at Harlequins has told against him. The Edinburgh scrum-halves, Sean Kennedy and Sam Hidalgo-Clyne also come into this temporarily out of favour group.

Good to see the likes of young Bradbury, the impressive Nick Grigg and Ali Price getting a call-up. The interesting selection, I feel, will be for the Georgia game at Rugby Park, when BVC will perhaps have the chance to try a few things.



I SEE the hand of incoming Glasgow coach Dave Rennie behind the Warriors' signing of lock Brian Alainu'use until the end of the season. Certainly, he's one big lump, and Glasgow are temporarily short-handed in the boiler-house.

But, does his Samoa Under-20 cap mean Big Brian cannot be considered a “project” player? Is this purely a short-term signing? And what message does this send to the likes of Robert McAlpine, who happily filled-in for Warriors earlier this season, or to the several big, mobile and keen young locks currently strutting their stuff in the BT Premiership?

The way the likes of Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts and the other SPFL Premiership clubs have loaded their squads with cheap English and foreign players, to the detriment of home-grown talent, has seriously hindered Scottish football – I fear, with their recent signings policies, Glasgow and Edinburgh seem to be going down the same wrong path.



No comments:

Post a Comment