FOR ONCE, both
Edinburgh and Glasgow have got off to good starts in Europe.
Edinburgh were always expected to beat their Challenge Cup opponents
from Romania, but, we have seen the capital side slip on such banana
skins before.
It says much for the
new attitudes Duncan Hodge is fostering at Murrayfield, that he could
field such an inexperienced side and still win as handsomely as they
did. This has been a good start for the capital side.
I must admit, however,
I took a particular joy from watching Glasgow demolish Leicester on
BT Sport. The arrogance of the London-based on-screen team, sent
north to chronicle the mighty Tigers putting “the Sweaties” in
their place was crying-out to be debunked, and it was, in spades.
Of course, had Matt
To'omau received the red card his disgraceful tip tackle on Finn
Russell deserved - and we can only hope the French citing officer did
not leave his cojones in France and does his job, so he may yet
receive the correct punishment – then Leicester would have had the
excuse they needed. They would have squealed from the roof tops.
To be fair, Richard
Cockerill, not my favourite DoR didn't try to take the gloss off
Glasgow's win, well, not on Friday anyway. I await tomorrow's
Leicester Mercury with interest.
Glasgow's problem now
is, they have set the bar high and cannot duck under it. They have
bested top English clubs at Scotstoun before, and not qualified for
the knock-out stages. A wee win in Munster, which is not the near
Mission Impossible it once was, plus continuing angst for a misfiring
Racing 92 and who knows. The talent is certainly there at Scotstoun
to go a long way this season.
Good start, now, let's
keep it up.
I WAS at Millbrae on
Saturday for the West Coast Derby between Ayr and Hawks, two of the
three most-exciting teams in this season's BT Premiership. It was a
good game, but, sadly, not as good as it might have been, thanks to a
refereeing howler which was, in its own way, every bit as bad as Msr
Raynal's failure to red card To'omau on Friday night.
On Saturday afternoon,
Keith Allen did produce his wee red oblong, and show it to Hawks'
Brendan McGroarty, for a tackle on Scott Sutherland. Now, let's leave
asid the fact big “Queenie” is at least six inches taller and
three stones heavier than the not-inconsiderable Brendan. Queenie
went down like a sack of spuds being thrown to the ground, rather
than a sack of tatties being tipped out.
I thought at the time:
“penalty only, if a yellow, a soft one”. I could not believe it
when the red card was produced. If Raynal was guilty of dereliction
of duty, then Allen was over-zealous in the extreme. Will we ever get
consistency of refereeing?
The red card ruined a
game which was nicely-poised. Given the head of steam their pac had
built-up I still fancy Ayr would have won, even allowing for Hawks'
later, deserved yellow card for Junior Bulumakau. The Millbrae Men
were the sharper outfit all game, but, how Hawks must be ruing the
handling errors which cost them at least five possible tries.
And watch out for Ayr's
latest New Zealand import, young Ruaridh Mackenzie, son of former
Soutars and Scotland prop Gregor. He is here on a partnership
agreement between Ayr and Warriors, which means he trains at
Scotstoun, but plays at Millbrae. In 15 minutes on Saturday, he
looked like the real deal.
I MISSED the monthly
GROGS lunch at Braidholm on Wednesday, but I am told wee Rob
Robertson of the Daily Mail wowed the old buffers, not least by
asking if anyone in the company – which includes some of the
longest-serving and most-influential committee-men in the West –
had spotted “the Lesser-Spotted Johnston” outwith Murrayfield.
I have heard no better
description of our National Director of Rugby, brilliant Rob.
No comments:
Post a Comment